The Culinary Insider - October 22, 2012 (Vol. X, Issue 22)
Take the “What’s Hot in 2013” Survey
One Lucky Participant Will Win a $500 American Express Card
ACF and National Restaurant Association (NRA) are again teaming up for the annual “What’s Hot” survey to identify restaurant menu trends for the coming year. As a professional chef and member of ACF, your input is invaluable to gauge which trends will be hot on restaurant menus in 2013.
If you have taken this survey before, you’re familiar with its construction. For those of you who are new to it, it’s simple—just rate each item as a “hot trend,” “yesterday’s news” or “perennial favorite” according to your professional opinion. Please note that the list is not all-inclusive, so please use the space indicated to let us know of any trends we might have missed. Everyone completing the survey may enter a drawing for a $500 American Express gift card.
Please take a few minutes to complete this survey by 5 p.m. EDT on Wednesday, Oct. 31. The information you provide will be confidential and your contact information will not be shared.
If you have any questions, please send an email to email@example.com. Survey results will be available in December on the NRA and ACF websites.
Better Prepared Professional Cutlery
Be better prepared for your work with cutlery and accessories that are specifically designed for the professional chef. These ergonomic, stainless steel tools give you more control over every meal you cook.
ACF Culinary Team USA Has Stellar Performance at IKA
ACF Culinary Team USA had a stellar performance at the 23rd annual Internationale Kochkunst Ausstellung (IKA) International Culinary Exhibition, commonly known as the “culinary Olympics,” Oct. 5–10, in Erfurt, Germany. All ACF Culinary Team USA teams—national, military, regional and youth—finished in the top 10 with a medal count of two gold and five silver, proving that American cuisine is among the best in the world.
ACF Culinary National Team USA earned a silver medal in the hot-food kitchen, and in the cold-food presentation, the team received the second-highest score and a silver medal. Of the 32 national teams that competed, the team placed sixth overall. The U.S. Army Culinary Arts Team’s impeccable cold-food display earned a gold medal, and its hot-kitchen presentation earned a silver medal. Overall, the team placed fourth. ACF Culinary Regional Team USA’s synergy and focus in the development of its cold-food display was rewarded with a silver medal. The team missed gold by only one point and placed fourth out of 46 teams. ACF Culinary Youth Team USA was awarded a gold medal for its progressive hot-kitchen presentation and a silver medal in cold-food display. Overall, the youth team placed fifth. Read the press release, follow the team’s journey while at IKA and view the pictures.
A sincere thank you to the team managers, coaches and advisers for all their help and dedication. Also, thank you to the generous sponsors who believed in ACF Culinary Team USA and offered their unwavering support. ACF Culinary Team USA’s success is because of all of you!
ACF Members Proudly Represent United States at IKA
Congratulations to the individuals and regional teams that competed in the Internationale Kochkunst Ausstellung (IKA) International Culinary Exhibition, commonly known as the "culinary Olympics," and proudly represented American cuisine and ACF. More than 1,500 chefs representing 54 countries participated in team and individual competitions Oct. 5–10 in Erfurt, Germany.
- Brian Beland, CMC: Gold medal, Category A
- Joseph Bonaparte, CCC, CCE: Diploma, Category B
- Mark Brown, CEC, CCA: Bronze medal, Category A
- Michele Brown
- Daniel Bungenstock, CEC, CCA
- George Castaneda; Silver medal, Category A
- Derek Colglazier: Bronze medal, Category A
- Scott Craig, CEC, CCA: Gold medal, Category A
- Christopher Cwierz: 2 Bronze medals, Category C
- Stafford DeCambra, CEC, CCE, CCA, AAC: Gold medal, Category D1
- James Delao: Silver medal, Category A
- Vincent Rosario Fernandes: Gold medal, Category D2; Bronze Medal, Category D1
- Douglas Ganhs, CEC: Gold medal, Category A; Bronze medal, Category D1
- Hwang June Jan: Gold medal, Category D1
- Francois Keller: Diploma, Category B
- Kendall Knies
- Kurt Lechner, CEPC: Bronze medal, Category C
- Lutz Lewerenz, CEC, AAC: Silver medal, Category D2
- Shawn Loving, CEC, CCA: Bronze medal, Category A
- Lawrence Matson, CEC, CCE, AAC
- John Miller, CEC: Gold medal, Category A
- Patrick Mitchell, CEC, AAC: Bronze medal, Category D2
- Modie Moore: Bronze medal, Category D2
- Jordyn Moseley: Bronze medal, Category D1
- Alan J. Neace Sr., CEC, AAC: Bronze medal, Category A
- Kelsee Newman, CPC: Bronze medal, Category D2
- Scott O’Farrell, CEC, CEPC, CCA: Gold medal, Category D2
- Woojay Poynter, CSC: Gold medal, Category A
- Halie Raymer: Silver medal, Category D1
- Sarah Rougeau, CSC: Silver medal, Category A
- Bang-On Roulet
- Philip Sayre, CEC, CCE, WCC
- Daryl Shular: Diploma, Category A
- Scott Simpson, CC: Bronze medal, Category A
- Greg Skibinski, CEC, AAC: Bronze medal, Category B
- Mark Spelman, CEC, AAC: Gold medal, Category B
- Gabriel Vera: Bronze medal, Category A
- Jacob D. Williams: Bronze medal, Category A
- Christopher Wyrembelski: Bronze medal, Category A
- The International Culinary Schools at The Art Institutes: Bronze medal, placed 20 out of 46 regional teams
- Regional Team Texas: Bronze medal, placed 23 out of 46 regional teams
Note: This information was compiled from ACF members and IKA.
ACF Chefs Honored at IKA
Hubert Schmieder, AAC, and Michel Bouit, CEC, AAC, were both honored at the Internationale Kochkunst Ausstellung (IKA) International Culinary Exhibition, commonly known as the “culinary Olympics,” by the German chefs association, Verband der Koche Deutschlands e.V. Schmieder, retired, has attended every IKA since 1951, and Bouit, president of MBI, Inc., was instrumental in increasing participation at IKA.
New Logo Unveiled for 2013 Baron H. Galand Culinary Knowledge Bowl
A new logo is kicking off the 2013 Baron H. Galand Culinary Knowledge Bowl competition in anticipation of another 20 years. Remember, it is a requirement that each team is sponsored by an ACF chapter, ACFEF apprenticeship program or ACFEF-accredited program. Applications must be postmarked by Dec. 31. Thanks to the generosity of our sponsor, American Technical Publishers, each team member registered by the deadline will receive the second edition of Culinary Arts Principles and Applications. More
ACF’s e-Store Has New Items
Are you looking to update your wardrobe with some new ACF clothing or other merchandise? If the answer is yes, then visit the ACF e-Store. Remember to log in as an ACF member to receive your 15% discount.
Getting Your ACF Chapter in the News
ACF has developed the following documents to assist chapters in their quest to publicize activities and member achievements through their local media. They can be downloaded behind the member login on the ACF website. log in and go to the Members Only section followed by Resources. Under Resources you will find multiple documents under Public Relations, from sample press releases to media pitching tips.