The Culinary Insider - October 7, 2013 (Vol. XI, Issue 21)
ACF Chefs to Compete in Dubai World Hospitality Championship
ACF is fielding a team to represent the United States at the inaugural Dubai World Hospitality Championship 2013, Nov. 16–18, at the Dubai World Trade Centre, Dubai, United Arab Emirates. The ACF team is comprised of seven chefs, of which six are ACF members as noted below, who will compete against teams from 11 countries by preparing a meal for 50 people each day of the competition. The 12 participating countries are Australia, Canada, China, Germany, Malaysia, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, Wales, Slovenia, United Arab Emirates and the United States.
- Brian Beland, CMC, executive chef/director of food & beverage, Country Club of Detroit, Gross Pointe Farms, Mich.; ACF Michigan Chefs de Cuisine
- Joachim Buchner, CMC, executive chef, Chevy Chase Club, Chevy Chase Club, Md.; ACF Nations Capital Chefs Association
- Andy Chlebana, CEPC, CCA, culinary arts professor/pastry chef, Joliet Junior College, Joliet, Ill.; ACF Louis Joliet Chapter
- Carlo Lamagna, executive chef, Benny’s Chop House, Chicago
- Edward Leonard, CMC, WGMC, AAC, vice president culinary education/corporate chef, Le Cordon Bleu North America, Schaumburg, Ill.: ICA–ACF Big Apple Chapter
- Susan Notter, CEPC, director of pastry education, YTI Career Institute, Lancaster, Pa.; ACF Harrisburg Chapter
- Austin Yancey, CEC, CCE, instructor, Le Cordon Bleu College Of Culinary Arts in Chicago; ACF Windy City Professional Culinarians Inc.
The Dubai World Hospitality Championship 2013, under the directive of Dubai Crown Prince Shaikh Hamdan Bin Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, is organized by Zabeel Palace Hospitality in cooperation with World Association of Chefs Societies and The Emirates Culinary Guild.
American Lamb Board’s Educational Program for ACF Chapters
The American Lamb Board has partnered with ACF to help support ACF chapter educational efforts. Chapters that sign up for the American Lamb from the Ground Up educational program will receive a toolkit to teach members about U.S. lamb. The toolkit includes a video, PowerPoint presentation, handouts and ground lamb for demonstrating and tasting. Participants in the program will receive two continuing education hours. ACF chapters can also compete in a recipe contest for an opportunity to win $2,000. Register for your free toolkit.
MyCulinaryCampus.com Offers ACF-Approved CEHs
MyCulinaryCampus.com now offers CEHs that include 5-hours in Food Management (allergens, nutrition, kitchen recycling and children menus), 7-hours on the Keys to Baking (shop 101, cake making, cake mixing and herbs, seeds and more) and 12-hours on Supervisory Skills. MyCulinaryCampus.com has combined all 24-hours in a SPECIAL CEH package for only $8.29 per hour. CEH’s are ACF APPROVED, affordable and accessible 24/7.
World Food Championship: 400 Competitors, 7 Categories, $300,000 Prize Purse
The $300,000 World Food Championships (WFC) is a seven-category food competition and television series. Competitors, from trained professionals to amateur home cooks, will travel across the globe to compete for food fame and glory Nov. 6–10 in downtown Las Vegas. If you’re interested in participating in this one-of-a-kind culinary competition, apply through the WFC WildCard Draw. ACF applicants have a special extended deadline of Oct. 11 at 5 p.m. PDT to submit an application for entry.
Center for the Advancement of Foodservice Education (CAFE)
2013 Events for Educators
“The Science of Baking”
October 18–20, Sullivan University, Louisville, Kentucky
Topics include protein-rich breads; gluten free and other healthy baking/pastry applications; chocolate trends; new oils and other baking trends; molecular-gastronomy tips and tricks. Registration includes opening-night reception; Saturday/Sunday breakfast/lunch/breaks; chef’s jacket, tool kit and educational resources from industry partners; and ACF continuing-education hours for certification.
Visit www.CafeMeetingPlace.com for agenda, registration and hotel information.
**Subscribe for weekly programming updates**
Ingredient of the Month: Peas
Peas are one of the most nutritious legumes, rich in minerals and vitamins. They contain no cholesterol and are a good source of protein and fiber. Peas also have strong anti-inflammatory properties and high levels of antioxidants. Learn more about peas and get the recipe for Baked Crispy Chicken with Green Pea Pesto Salad in Ingredient of the Month, provided by the ACFEF Chef & Child Foundation. More
WUSTHOF’S New PRO Line
See what chefs are saying about WUSTHOF’s new PRO line! One of the most recognizable names for quality in the food service industry, WUSTHOF introduces PRO series…their first stamped food service line since the company’s founding in 1814.
- Razor-sharp high-carbon, stain-free steel blades for effortless cutting.
- Unique, ergonomically designed soft-poly handles, which make prolonged use less taxing.
- Designed and built exclusively for the tough day-to-day demands of the commercial kitchen.
- Made in Solingen/Germany.
- NSF Certified.
ACFEF Grants Secondary Certification to 16 Culinary Programs
Sixteen culinary programs in 14 educational institutions received programmatic secondary certification from the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation (ACFEF) Accrediting Commission’s Secondary Certification Subcommittee. Initial ACFEF programmatic secondary certification was granted to five culinary programs, and 11 programmatic secondary certifications for culinary programs were renewed. More