Lead Like “Mike” Contest
Do you ever wonder what it takes to lead the largest organization of professional chefs in the U.S.? American Culinary Federation (ACF) students and apprentices are invited to enter the 2013 Lead Like “Mike” Contest for the chance at unparalleled access to culinary leaders and top-notch networking opportunities. One lucky student will be selected to attend the 2013 ACF National Convention in Las Vegas, July 21–25, to be mentored by ACF National President Michael Ty, CEC®, AAC®.
Five finalists will be selected for phone interviews. The winner will be announced by June 7, and will receive airfare within the continental U.S. to Las Vegas, accommodations at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, and a full convention registration.
Who Can Enter?
Applicants must be…
- A first-, second- or third-year full-time culinary student enrolled in either a degree-granting, diploma or certificate postsecondary culinary program, or an American Culinary Federation Education Foundation Apprenticeship Program.
- An ACF member in good standing since January 31, 2013.
- At least 18 years old.
- Available July 20–26, 2013.
- Organized, punctual and personable.
- A leader who can communicate well with diverse groups and maintain a professional image.
To enter, submit the following information:
- A completed and signed application.
- A 500-word essay in English, no smaller than 12 point font, describing how this mentoring opportunity will help you achieve your goal of being a culinary leader. The essay must be an original work and should not reference Michael Ty, CEC®, AAC®, more than twice.
- A high-resolution color photo in appropriate chef apparel.
- A signed letter of endorsement from your department chair and/or school/apprenticeship director on official letterhead.
- Guests may not accompany the winner.
- All submissions become property of ACF.
- ACF reserves the right to contact faculty or administrators at any entrant’s school or apprenticeship program to confirm enrollment and verify endorsement.
- Entrants agree, by signing a release waiver, to allow ACF to use their photos, names and essays in promotional materials. ACF will give appropriate attribution, but compensation will not be provided.
- Finalists should be prepared for a comprehensive, professional phone interview with Michael Ty, CEC®, AAC®, and an ACF staff person.
- Failure to follow contest guidelines and essay requirements will lead to disqualification.
- In the event that there are no qualified candidates, ACF reserves the right to cancel the contest.
Send Application Packages by the Postmark Deadline of May 1 to:
American Culinary Federation, Attn: Patricia Carroll, Lead Like “Mike” Contest
180 Center Place Way, St. Augustine, FL 32095