ACFEF Accreditation is a process of self-review for improvement of academic quality and public accountability of culinary arts/baking and pastry programs. This review takes place every 3–5 or 7 years and typically invoices three major activities:
- A self-study of the program using the standards of the ACFEF Accrediting Commission
- A peer review of the program to gather evidence of quality and to verify documents submitted in the self-study
- A decision/action by the ACFEF Accrediting Commission to grant accreditation, to grant with conditions, to accept a deferral request or to not accredit a program
ACFEF Accreditation is recognized by CHEA. This means that we (ACFEF Accreditation) have met the criteria, standards and principles that CHEA requires for recognition. Those recognition standards are:
- To advance academic quality
- Demonstrate accountability
- Encourage where appropriate, self-scrutiny and planning for change and needed improvement
- Employ appropriate and fair procedures in decision making
- Demonstrates ongoing review of accreditation practices
- Possesses sufficient resources
The CHEA Principles of: Quality Assurance, Leadership, Advocacy, Service, Core Values, Independence and Inclusion are also part of the ACFEF Accreditation principals and processes.
CHEA (Council for Higher Education Accreditation) is an association of 3,000 degree-granting colleges and universities and recognized 60 institutional and programmatic accrediting organizations.
CHEA is the only non-governmental higher education organization in the United States that undertakes the scrutiny and affirmation of the quality of regional, faith-related, career-related and programmatic accrediting organizations.
To find out more about CHEA and accreditation, please view the videos listed below.
CHEA Videos on Accreditation
The Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) has produced four short videos on issues related to higher education accreditation. They address:
You can view these videos on CHEA’s YouTube channel.
After viewing if you have any questions, please contact us at the ACF national office.