Become an Apprentice
Apprenticeship is a combination of on-the-job training and related classroom instruction and requires no previous experience to enroll. Here are some benefits of enrolling in an ACFEF apprenticeship program:
- Participate in “earn while you learn” approach
- Receive mentoring from qualified supervising chef
- Develop documented culinary skills that are transferable within the industry
- Opportunity to receive nationally-recognized ACF certification upon completion
- Pursue career path with long-term growth potential
- Enjoy networking opportunities and benefits of becoming an ACF member
Apply for Apprenticeship
- Applicants must be a high school graduate or equivalent and meet the minimum age requirement of the program and/or state regulations.
- Apply to the program where you choose to live and work. Find a program and contact the program coordinator for more information.
- ACFEF apprenticeship and membership fees apply. View Details
- Complete the apprentice registration form to register with ACFEF as an apprentice.
- Join ACF as a student culinarian and maintain membership throughout apprenticeship. Take advantage of ACF’s incentive plan for apprentices.
- The program coordinator will submit the completed forms to the ACFEF national office.
- Complete a logbook documenting 4,000 (two-year program) or 6,000 (three-year program) work hours at assigned facility. The supervising chef will take apprentices through 10 stations that will include all aspects of what a professional chef needs to know to become qualified and ACF-certified.
- Apprentices will also complete a minimum of 445 related instruction hours covering 11 competency areas that may be in a college classroom, qualified in-house instructor, or online.
- Upon program completion and supervising chef approval, apprentice is qualified to test for Certified Culinarian (CC), Certified Pastry Culinarian (CPC), Certified Sous Chef (CSC), or Certified Working Pastry Chef (CWPC). View graduation requirements.
For more information, visit our Frequently Asked Questions, email us at email@example.com or call us at (800) 624-9458.
To purchase the 10 modules individually or as a complete textbook, visit the ACF e-Store or call (800) 624-9458, ext. 105.