Baron H. Galand Culinary Knowledge Bowl
About the Competition
First held at the 1992 ACF National Convention in Washington, D.C., the Baron H. Galand Culinary Knowledge Bowl is the brainchild of Carol Kelly, a member of the Nation’s Capital Chefs’ Association and a culinary instructor. She used the competition format as a way of testing her vocational high school students.
As the competition grew, it was named after former ACF President and long time advocate of apprentices and junior members Baron H. Galand, CEC.
Today the competition includes sensory questions, hidden pictures, and of course challenging culinary, baking, nutrition, sanitation and math questions.
The competition is open to teams from ACF chapters, ACF apprenticeship programs and accredited American Culinary Federation Education Foundation Accrediting Commission (ACFEFAC) institutions. Knowledge bowl teams compete at their respective ACF Regional Conference. The winning team from each region earns the right to contend for the national title during ACF’s National Convention. For more information, call (800) 624-9458 or email email@example.com.
Test Your Knowledge | Study Books | Judging
2017 Knowledge Bowl Teams
Competing at 2017 ACF ChefConnect: Chicago
- ACF Flint/Saginaw Valley Chapter, Flint, Michigan
- ACF Louis Joliet Chapter, Joliet, Illinois
- ACF Professional Chefs and Culinarians of the Heartland, Omaha, Nebraska
- Chefs de Cuisine Association of St. Louis Inc., St. Louis, Missouri
- Culinary Arts and Hospitality Management Institute at Pulaski Technical College, Little Rock, Arkansas
- El Centro, Dallas, Texas
- Grayson College, Denison, Texas
- Indian Hills Community College, Ottumwa, Iowa
- Kendall College, Chicago, Illinois - WINNER
- Chefs de Cuisine Association of San Diego, Santee, California
- Utah Valley University Culinary Arts Institute, Orem, Utah - WINNER
- Walla Walla Community College, Walla Walla, Washington
Competing at 2017 ACF ChefConnect: New York
- ACF Eastern Long Island, Riverhead, New York - WINNER
- Hocking Technical College, Nelsonville, Ohio
- Owens Community College, Perrysburg, Ohio
- ACF Middle Tennessee Chapter, La Vergne, Tennessee
- ACF Southwestern Virginia Chapter, Roanoke, Virginia
- Guilford Technical College, Jamestown, North Carolina - WINNER
- The International Culinary School at The Art Institute of Atlanta, Atlanta