2014 ACF Southeast Regional Conference
The ACF Southeast Regional Conference, the final regional conference of ACF’s Events Series, at the Embassy Suites North Charleston–Airport/Hotel & Convention, Charleston, S.C., April 26–29, brought hundreds of chefs, cooks and foodservice professionals to Charleston. Hosted by ACF Greater Charleston South Carolina Chapter, the conference was an incredible success.
The conference theme was “Embracing a Sustainable Future,” and many of the demonstrations and seminars focused on how to incorporate green and sustainable cooking concepts into restaurant kitchens and onto menus. At general session, attendees enjoyed a panel discussion on Southern cuisine and sustainability with Dave Belanger, owner, Clammer Dave’s Sustainable Gourmet, McClellanville, S.C.; Sean Brock, chef/partner, McCrady’s, Charleston, S.C., and Husk Restaurant, Charleston and Nashville, Tenn.; Glenn Roberts, founder, Anson Mills, Columbia; and Dr. David Shields, food historian, University of South Carolina, Columbia, S.C.; as well as a culinary demonstration from Frank Lee, vice president of culinary development, Maverick Southern Kitchens, Charleston. In addition, the American Academy of Chefs (AAC), ACF’s honor society, gave a $1,000 grant to the ACF Southeast Region Student Team Regional Champion, students representing ACF North Carolina Chapter who attend Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College, Asheville, N.C., to assist the team with expenses to travel to the national competition.
The following ACF Southeast Region competition award winners will compete for their respective national titles at the 2014 ACF National Convention in Kansas City, Mo., July 25–29.
ACF Southeast Region Chef of the Year, sponsored by Unilever Food Solutions
Sarah Deckert, CEC, enlisted aide, U.S. Army Medical Command, Washington, D.C., ACF Nation’s Capital Chefs Association
ACF Southeast Region Pastry Chef of the Year, sponsored by Plugrá® European-Style Butter
Leslie Eckert, CEPC, CCE, MBA, academic director of culinary and pastry arts programs, The Art Institute of Raleigh-Durham, Durham, N.C., ACF Tampa Bay Culinary Association, Inc.
ACF Southeast Region Chef Educator of the Year
Jean Yves Vendeville, CEPC, department chair, Savannah Technical College, Savannah, Ga., ACF Chefs of the Low Country
ACF Southeast Region Hermann G. Rusch Chef’s Achievement Award
Reimund Pitz, CEC, CCE, AAC, WGMC, executive chef/owner, Le Coq Au Vin, Orlando, Fla., ACF Central Florida Chapter
ACF Southeast Region Dr. L.J. Minor Chef Professionalism Award, sponsored by MINOR’S®
Thomas Pepka, CEC, AAC, executive chef, Mountain Lake Country Club, Lake Wales, Fla., ACF Central Florida Chapter
ACF Southeast Region Student Chef of the Year, sponsored by Custom Culinary, Inc.
Derek Colglazier, line cook, Cherokee Town and Country Club, Atlanta, ACF Atlanta Chefs Association, Inc.
ACF Southeast Region Baron H. Galand Culinary Knowledge Bowl, sponsored by American Technical Publishers
Students who attend Guilford Technical Community College, Jamestown, N.C.
ACF Southeast Region Student Team Regional Championship, sponsored by R.L. Schreiber, Inc.
Students representing ACF North Carolina Chapter who attend Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College, Asheville, N.C.
The 2014 ACF Southeast Regional Conference award recipients listed below were recognized for their outstanding contributions to ACF, goodwill in their communities and/or culinary excellence.
ACF Southeast Region Chapter of the Year
ACF Southwestern Virginia Chapter, Roanoke, Va.
ACF Southeast Region Chapter Achievement Award
- ACF Atlanta Chefs Association, Inc., Atlanta
- ACF Central Florida Chapter, Orlando, Fla.
- ACF Tampa Bay Culinary Association, Inc., Tampa, Fla.
ACF World of Thanks
ACF Greater Charleston South Carolina Chapter
ACF Southeast Region Cutting Edge Award
- Geoffrey Blount, CEPC, baking and pastry arts program chair, Central Piedmont Community College, Charlotte, N.C., ACF North Carolina Chapter
- Kimberly Brock-Brown, CEPC, CCA, AAC, executive chef, Culinary Concepts, LLC, Charleston, S.C., ACF Greater Charleston South Carolina Chapter
- John Kacala, CEC, AAC, culinary advisor, Sysco Food Services of Columbia, LLC, Columbia, S.C., ACF Greater Charleston South Carolina Chapter
- Michael Rigberg, CEC, CCA, chef instructor/executive chef, Land O’ Lakes High School–Pasco County School District, Land O’ Lakes, Fla., ACF Tampa Bay Culinary Association, Inc.
ACF Southeast Region President’s Medallion
- Jeffrey Bacon, CEC, CCA, AAC, executive chef/program director, Triad Community Kitchen, Winston-Salem, N.C., ACF North Carolina Chapter
- Keith Esbin, corporate executive chef, Bar Harbor Seafood Corporation, Orlando, Fla., ACF Central Florida Chapter
- Philip Lloyd, CEC, executive chef/owner, Certified Chef’s Cuisine Inc., Huntersville, N.C., ACF North Carolina Chapter
- Jeffrey Nordman, CEC, food and beverage director, Marsh Landing Country Club, Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., ACF First Coast Chapter
- Clayton Sherrod, AAC, president, Chef Clayton’s Food Systems, Birmingham, Ala., ACF Birmingham Alabama Chapter
ACF Southeast Region Achievement of Excellence Awards
- 5Church, Charlotte, N.C.
- A1A Ale Works, St. Augustine, Fla.
- Bonita Bay Club, Bonita Springs, Fla.
- El San Juan Resort & Casino–A Hilton Hotel, Carolina, Puerto Rico
- Mama Ricotta’s, Charlotte, N.C.
- Mozelle’s Fresh Southern Bistro, Winston-Salem, N.C.
- The Potter’s House Soul Food Bistro, Jacksonville, Fla.