2014 ACF Western Regional Conference
The ACF Western Regional Conference, hosted by ACF San Francisco Chapter, at the Oakland Marriott City Center, Oakland, Calif., March 2–5, brought hundreds of chefs, cooks and foodservice professionals to Oakland. The conference theme was “Embracing a Sustainable Future,” and many of the demonstrations and seminars focused on how to incorporate green and sustainable cooking concepts into restaurant kitchens and onto menus.
Attendees enjoyed culinary demonstrations from Martin Yan, HAAC, HHOF, executive chef/owner of M.Y. China, San Francisco, Ben Vaughn from Food Network’s “Health Inspectors,” Chris Jones, director of culinary innovation, Hampton Creek Foods, and Sebastien Canonne, MOF, cofounder, The French Pastry School of Kennedy-King College at City Colleges of Chicago, Chicago. In addition, the American Academy of Chefs (AAC), ACF’s honor society, gave a $1,000 grant to the ACF Western Region Student Team Regional Champion, students representing Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in Los Angeles, Los Angeles, to assist the team with expenses to travel to the national competition.
The following ACF Western Region competition award winners will compete for their respective national titles at the 2014 ACF National Convention in Kansas City, Mo., July 25–29.
ACF Western Region Chef of the Year, sponsored by Unilever Food Solutions
Jinkuk Lee, chef de cuisine, The Chef’s Table, Orem, Utah, ACF Beehive Chefs Chapter Inc.
ACF Western Region Pastry Chef of the Year, sponsored by Plugrá® European-Style Butter
Chris Cwierz, chef instructor/faculty development liaison, The Art Institute of Phoenix, Phoenix, ACF Chef’s Association of Arizona, Inc.
ACF Western Region Chef Educator of the Year
Noel G. Ridsdale, CEC, CCE, AAC, academic director, The Art Institute of Tucson, Tucson, Ariz., ACF Chefs Association of Southern Arizona Tucson
ACF Western Region Hermann G. Rusch Chef’s Achievement Award
Walter Leible, CMC, AAC, senior culinary instructor/assistant professor, The Art Institute of Phoenix, Phoenix, ACF Chef’s Association of Arizona, Inc.
ACF Western Region Dr. L.J. Minor Chef Professionalism Award, sponsored by MINOR’S®
Melody Money, CEC, executive chef, Quaker Ridge Camp & Conference Center, Woodland Park, Colo., ACF Pikes Peak Chapter, Inc.
ACF Western Region Student Chef of the Year, sponsored by Custom Culinary, Inc.
Victor Perez Ruiz, student, Culinary Arts Institute at Utah Valley University, Orem, Utah, ACF Beehive Chefs Chapter Inc.
ACF Western Region Baron H. Galand Culinary Knowledge Bowl, sponsored by American Technical Publishers
Students representing Lake Washington Institute of Technology, Kirkland, Wash.
ACF Western Region Student Team Regional Championship, sponsored by R.L. Schreiber, Inc.
Students representing Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in Los Angeles, Los Angeles
The 2014 ACF Western Regional Conference award recipients listed below were recognized for their outstanding contributions to ACF, goodwill in their communities and/or culinary excellence.
ACF Western Region Chapter of the Year
ACF Monterey Bay Chapter, Monterey, Calif.
ACF Western Region Chapter Achievement Award
- ACF Chefs de Cuisine Society of Oregon, Portland, Ore.
- ACF High Sierra Chefs Association, Reno, Nev.
- ACF Idaho Chefs de Cuisine, Boise, Idaho
- ACF Monterey Bay Chapter, Monterey, Calif.
ACF World of Thanks
ACF San Francisco Chapter
ACF Western Region Cutting Edge Award
- Joseph Eidem, CEC, AAC, director/executive chef, Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, Colton, Calif., ACF High Sierra Chefs Association
- Paul Lee, CEC, director, Drummond Culinary Academy, Salinas, Calif., ACF Monterey Bay Chapter
- Jon “Mike” Lodi, chef instructor, Rescue Mission Alliance, Oxnard, Calif., Ventura Chefs Association
- Ken Love, executive director, Master Food Preservers, Captain Cook, Hawaii, ACF Kona-Kohala Chefs Association
- Thomas Rosenberger, CEC, CHE, FMP, CFPM, department chair, College of Southern Nevada, North Las Vegas, Nev., ACF Chefs Las Vegas
ACF Western Region President’s Medallion
- John Fisher, CEC, CCE, AAC, senior chef arts instructor, Renton Technical College, Renton, Wash., ACF Washington State Chefs Association
- Gary Fuller, CEC, CCE, AAC, president, Two Snooty Chefs/Seattle Seasonings LLC, Port Orchard, Wash., ACF Washington State Chefs Association
- Cynthia Grace Gregorio, professor, American Hospitality Academy, Makati City, Philippines, ACF Philippines
- Jean Hull, CCE, AAC, owner, Hospitality Consulting by Jean, Kailua Kona, Hawaii, ACF Kona-Kohala Chefs Association
- Reilly Meehan, line cook, Parallel 37 at The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco, ACF San Francisco Chapter
- Garry Waldie, CEC, CEPC, CCE, AAC, lead instructor, Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in Scottsdale, Scottsdale, Ariz., ACF San Francisco Chapter
ACF Western Region Achievement of Excellence Awards
- Alan Wong’s Restaurants, Honolulu
- The Inventing Room, Denver
- Willowstone Catering & Events, Concord, Calif.