2014 ACF Northeast Regional Conference
The ACF Northeast Regional Conference at the Crowne Plaza Hotel at the Crossings, Warwick, R.I., April 11–14, brought more than 500 chefs, cooks and foodservice professionals to Warwick and Providence, R.I. Hosted by ACF Rhode Island Chapter, the conference was a stellar success.
The conference theme was “Embracing a Sustainable Future,” and many of the demonstrations and seminars focused on how to incorporate green and sustainable cooking concepts into restaurant kitchens and onto menus. Attendees enjoyed a special keynote address by John Bowen, chancellor at Johnson & Wales University, in commemoration of the school’s 100-year anniversary, as well as educational seminars and culinary demonstrations from presenters, such as Mark Eggerding, vice president of product sales support, US Foods; Nicholas Calias, CEC, executive chef/food and beverage director, The Colonnade Hotel and Brasserie Jo, Boston; and William Myers, executive chef, Stone Harbor Golf Club, Cape May Court House, N.J. In addition, the American Academy of Chefs (AAC), ACF’s honor society, gave a $1,000 grant to the ACF Northeast Region Student Team Regional Champion, students representing ACF Rhode Island Chapter that attend Johnson & Wales University, to assist the team with expenses to travel to the national competition.
The following ACF Northeast Region competition award winners will compete for their respective national titles at the 2014 ACF National Convention in Kansas City, Mo., July 25–29.
ACF Northeast Region Chef of the Year, sponsored by Unilever Food Solutions
Joshua Wickham, CEC, CEPC, executive chef, Rock Fork Hunt & Country Club, Gahanna, Ohio, ACF Columbus Chapter
ACF Northeast Region Pastry Chef of the Year, sponsored by Plugrá® European-Style Butter
Susan Notter, CEPC, pastry arts program director, The Pennsylvania School of Culinary Arts–YTI Career Institute, Lancaster, Pa., ACF Harrisburg Chapter
ACF Northeast Region Chef Educator of the Year
Keith Buerker, CEC, CCE, culinary arts professor, SUNY Cobleskill, Cobleskill, N.Y., ACF Capital District–Central New York
ACF Northeast Region Hermann G. Rusch Chef’s Achievement Award
Hartmut Handke, CMC, AAC, retired, Dublin, Ohio, ACF Columbus Chapter
ACF Northeast Region Dr. L.J. Minor Chef Professionalism Award, sponsored by MINOR’S®
Americo DiFronzo, CEC, CCA, AAC, executive chef, Union Oyster House, Boston, ACF Epicurean Club of Boston
ACF Northeast Region Student Chef of the Year, sponsored by Custom Culinary, Inc.
Geoffrey Lanez, CC, student, Johnson & Wales University, Providence, R.I., ACF Rhode Island Chapter
ACF Northeast Region Baron H. Galand Culinary Knowledge Bowl, sponsored by American Technical Publishers
Students representing ACF Eastern Long Island Chefs Chapter, Riverhead, N.Y.
ACF Northeast Region Student Team Regional Championship, sponsored by R.L. Schreiber, Inc.
Students representing ACF Rhode Island Chapter that attend Johnson & Wales University, Providence, R.I.
The 2014 ACF Northeast Regional Conference award recipients listed below were recognized for their outstanding contributions to ACF, goodwill in their communities and/or culinary excellence.
ACF Northeast Region Chapter of the Year
ACF of Greater Buffalo New York, Buffalo, N.Y.
ACF Northeast Region Chapter Achievement Award
- ACF Columbus Chapter, Columbus, Ohio
- ACF Epicurean Club of Boston, Boston
- ACF Philadelphia Delaware Valley Chefs Association, Philadelphia
ACF World of Thanks
ACF Rhode Island Chapter
ACF Northeast Region Cutting Edge Award
- David Goldstein, corporate executive chef, Acosta Sales and Marketing, Feasterville, Pa., ACF Professional Chefs Association of South Jersey
- Perrin Long, CEC, CCE, AAC, culinary arts instructor, Portsmouth High School, Portsmouth, N.H., ACF Piscataqua Chapter
- Timothy Michitsch, CEC, CCE, AAC, culinary educator, Lorain County JVS, Oberlin, Ohio, ACF Akron-Canton Area Cooks and Chefs Association
- Michael Murray, CEC, banquet chef, Sleepy Hollow Country Club, Scarborough, N.Y., Chefs Association of Westchester and Lower Connecticut
- Gary Sheldon, CEC, AAC, corporate chef, Sysco, Westbrook, Maine, White Mountain Chapter of the ACF
- Drew Smalbach, CEC, executive chef, White Manor Country Club, Malvern, Pa., ACF Philadelphia Delaware Valley Chefs Association
ACF Northeast Region President’s Medallion
- Americo DiFronzo, CEC, CCA, AAC, executive chef, Union Oyster House, Boston, ACF Epicurean Club of Boston
- Geoffrey Lanez, CC, student, Johnson & Wales University, Providence, R.I., ACF Rhode Island Chapter
- Robert Milam, CEC, AAC, chef instructor, Boone Career-Technical Center, Danville, W.Va., ACF West Virginia Chapter
- Michael Roddey, CEC, CCA, CCE, CDM, owner/chef consultant, Gastronomic Services & Consulting, Duncansville, Pa., Southern Allegheny Chefs Association
- Scott Ryan, CEC, AAC, executive chef, The Country Club, Pepper Pike, Ohio, ACF Cleveland Chapter Inc.
ACF Northeast Region Achievement of Excellence Awards
- Maryland Club, Baltimore
- Osteria Procaccini, Pennington, N.J.
- Philadelphia Country Club, Gladwyne, Pa.
- Sheraton Valley Forge Hotel, King of Prussia, Pa.
- The Circular at The Hotel Hershey, Hershey, Pa.
- The Country Club, Pepper Pike, Ohio
- The North End Bistro, Princeton, N.J.
- Union Oyster House, Boston