2008 ACF Salary Survey
In 2008, the American Culinary Federation, with the help of Readex
Research, conducted a salary survey of ACF members to determine what
factors affect a professional culinarian’s pay. The results
revealed insightful information about our membership and the factors
that influence their salary.
According to the survey, the average ACF member
made an annual salary of $54,100 a year. The survey also found the
following factors tend to increase a professional chef's income:
- On average, chefs who hold a certified executive chef (CEC) or
certified executive pastry chef (CEPC) certification or higher earn
$10,900 more a year.
- Corporate organizations typically pay higher salaries than other
places of employment.
- Those employed in the Northeast and Western regions are paid
slightly more than in the Midwest and South.
ACF Member Fast Facts
- 89% are employed or self-employed full time
- 90% have completed at least some college
- Educational institutions employ the most ACF members at 29%
- Average total revenues at place of employment were $3.54
- The average member has been in the culinary profession for 19
- Culinary training is nearly universal among members at 98%
- The typical average work week is 50.2 hours
ACF membership is also a key component for higher salaries in the
culinary industry. According to ACF’s salary survey and the U.S.
Department of Labor, ACF members earn $14,100 more a year than the
average chef or head cook in the industry. Full time employment rates
are higher for ACF members as well when compared with the entire
employment population in the United State. In fact, 89 percent of ACF
members are employed full time, while the national employment rate is at
Not a member? Join
* Source: U.S. Department of Labor
About the Survey
The survey sample of 14,174 was selected in systematic fashion by ACF
and Readex Research from ACF’s active, domestic membership with
email addresses on file. Nearly 3,500 members responded to the online
survey and from that, 1,000 were arbitrarily selected to create a random
sample. Download the
survey results now.