Idaho® Potato Pizza Margherita Style
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: James Roth, Executive Chef, Wildflower Cafe, Elmhurst, Illinois
The National Culinary Review, November/December 2015
2 lbs. (4 large) Idaho® russet potatoes
2½ t. kosher salt + more, to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
1 t. dried oregano + more, to taste
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil + more, as needed
1 T. minced garlic
3 ripe Roma tomatoes, sliced
16 oz. fresh olivine mozzarella, thinly sliced
½ bunch fresh asparagus
1½ cups all-purpose flour + more, as needed
2 t. baking powder
2 large eggs, beaten
¼ cup grated Grana Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano
Fresh basil chiffonade, folded, rolled, cut in thin ribbons
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Cook unpeeled potatoes in boiling water. Remove one after 6-7 minutes; cool. Peel, shred; cool completely. Toss shredded potato with a little olive oil; season with salt, pepper and oregano. Set aside.
3. Add minced garlic to ¼ cup olive oil. Brush tomatoes and mozzarella with a little garlic olive oil; add sprinkle of oregano. Season with pinch of salt and pepper; set aside.
4. Cut off woody ends of asparagus spears; split in half. Brush with a little garlic olive oil; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Let remaining potatoes cook until easily pierced with knife but not falling apart, about 20 minutes. Allow to steam-dry slightly in strainer; peel. Press through ricer or fine-pass through strainer onto sheet pan; cool completely.
6. Scrape potatoes into bowl; sift in 1½ cups flour, baking powder and 2½ t. salt. Mix in eggs; make smooth dough.
7. Oil 15x10-inch cookie sheet. Lay parchment paper on top of second inverted cookie sheet; dust with flour. Shape dough into medium rectangle; dust top with a little more flour. Place another piece of parchment paper on top; roll out evenly, working toward borders of pan so dough is slightly past edge, about ¼-inch thick. Remove top parchment paper; place oiled cookie sheet over dough. Flip bottom cookie sheet upside-down (dough should fit neatly into oiled cookie sheet). Shape crust by pinching border.
8. Sprinkle shredded potato around border, working loosely into crust. Brush border generously with olive oil; add a sprinkle of oregano. Par-bake in 400°F oven for 9-10 minutes, until dough and potato crust begin to turn light golden-brown.
9. Remove from oven; top dough evenly with alternating mozzarella cheese, tomato and asparagus, leaving ½-inch border around edge. Drizzle top with 2 T. olive oil; sprinkle with 1 t. oregano and grated cheese. Bake until crust is golden-brown on bottom and border, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly on baking sheet; cut in squares. Top with fresh basil chiffonade.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.