Rose Petal Sorbet
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: From Edible Flowers: A Kitchen Companion with Recipes (Chefs Press, 2015), by Kitty Morse
The National Culinary Review, June 2016
2 egg whites, room temperature
1 t. cream of tartar
1 cup water
1 cup loosely packed rose petals
½ cup granulated sugar
4 t. rose syrup
1/3 cup half-and-half
2 t. lemon juice
Fresh and crystallized rose petals,
1) In bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar to stiff peaks. Set aside.
2) In small saucepan, combine water and rose petals; bring to a rolling boil. Remove from heat; steep, covered, 10 minutes.
3) Strain infusion into bowl (discard petals). Return liquid to pan; stir in sugar and rose syrup. Boil until sugar dissolves, 2-3 minutes. Immediately, slowly pour mixture into beaten egg whites, using spatula to fold in ingredients. Slowly incorporate half-and-half and lemon juice.
4) Transfer mixture to small baking sheet or freezer container. Freeze for 3-4 hours, stirring several times during freezing process to prevent mixture separation.
5) Scoop sorbet onto individual plates. Surround with fresh rose petals to simulate a flower; top with crystallized rose petals.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.