Apple Pancetta Pizza
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Mike Sherwood, Chef/Owner, Pizza Nea, Minneapolis
The National Culinary Review, June 2016
2 t. active dry yeast
1½ t. sugar
1 cup warm (around 110ºF) water
3 T. olive oil, divided
1½ t. salt
3 cups bread flour, divided
2 Honeycrisp or SweeTango apples, cored, sliced
2 T. brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 thin slices fresh mozzarella
1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
4 oz. diced pancetta
Olive oil and sea salt
Fresh tarragon leaves
1. Whisk together yeast and sugar with warm water. Let sit in warm spot for 15-20 minutes until mixture is foamy. Add 1 T. olive oil, salt and 2½ cups flour; mix until a sticky dough comes together. Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead gently until smooth, adding more flour as needed. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Set in warm spot to rise for 1½ hours, or until doubled in volume.
2. Remove dough from bowl; divide in two. Form each half into ball; place in individual oiled bowls. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise 30 minutes. Immediately after beginning second rise time, place rack in lowest position in oven; place pizza stone on rack. At least 30 minutes before cooking pizza, preheat oven to 500°F.
3. During second rise, cook pancetta over medium-high heat until golden and crisp on outside. Transfer to paper-towel-lined plate; set aside.
4. In another pan, heat 2 T. olive oil over medium-high heat. Add apples; sprinkle with brown sugar. Cook, stirring often, until apples become golden-caramel. Remove from heat; set aside.
5. Once dough has doubled in volume, set pizza peel (or piece of parchment paper) on work surface; sprinkle with flour. Gently press and stretch 1 ball of dough to 10-12 inches in diameter. Drizzle with olive oil; sprinkle with half the garlic. Arrange half mozzarella cheese over garlic, followed by half Parmigiano- Reggiano, apples, goat cheese and pancetta. Drizzle with a bit more olive oil; sprinkle lightly with sea salt. Transfer pizza to oven; bake 8-12 minutes, or until crust is blistered and cheese is bubbly. Repeat with second ball of dough.
2 (12-inch) pizzas
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.