Rotini with Duck Ragu
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Courtesy of ConAgra Mills
The National Culinary Review, October 2010
3 duck thighs, skin on
1 T. extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, minced
1 carrot, minced
1 celery stalk, minced
¼ lb. pancetta, ¹/8-inch dice
1 bay leaf
2 T. minced Italian parsley
2 T. minced thyme
2 T. torn basil
½ t. salt
½ t. freshly ground black pepper
1 cup dry white wine
1½ cups chopped canned whole peeled tomatoes
¼ t. fennel seeds, crushed (optional)
1½ lbs. Ancient Grains rotini pasta blend, cooked
1. Heat heavy cast-iron pot over mediumhigh heat. Put duck in pot, skin-side down; cook until skin is golden-brown, about 10 minutes. Turn duck over with tongs; cook until flesh side is golden-brown, about 5 minutes. Remove duck from pot; pour out fat.
2. Return pot to medium heat; add olive oil. Add onion, carrot, celery, pancetta, bay leaf, parsley, thyme and basil; cook about 5 minutes, until soft and lightly browned.
3. Return duck to pot; season with salt and pepper. Add wine; cook until wine is nearly evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes; cover pot. Cook over medium-low heat 1½ hours.
4. Remove duck from pot. Cool 15 minutes (or until cool enough to handle). Remove and discard skin and bones. Cut duck into ¼-inch cubes; return to pot. Stir in fennel seeds. Cook over medium heat about 30 minutes, until duck is fork-tender.
5. Serve over Ancient Grains rotini pasta blend.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.