The Culinary Insider - July 15, 2013 (Vol. XI, Issue 15)
ACF National Convention Goes Live
The 2013 ACF National Convention starts in six days, July 21–25, at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Las Vegas. Approximately 1,400 chefs, culinarians and foodservice executives are already registered to attend this year’s convention and the number is expected to rise as we count down the days. This is one convention you don’t want to miss. It is going to be five days of nonstop professional development, educational seminars, cooking demonstrations featuring the latest trends and techniques, competitions and fabulous food.
Join ACF on Twitter @ACFChefs and Facebook.com/ACFChefs for live updates and the latest news, whether you are attending in person or in spirit. Follow along and share your comments. Be a live ACF tweeter and tweet using the hashtag #ACFCONV and we’ll retweet you! Just because it’s happening in #Vegas doesn’t mean it has to stay in #Vegas!
Fourteen Chefs Advance in ACF Culinary Team USA Tryouts
Twenty-five chefs from across the United States attended cold-food tryouts in June at the Denver and Charlotte, N.C., campuses of Johnson & Wales University for a coveted spot on ACF Culinary Team USA 2016. Fourteen of those chefs have advanced to compete in the hot-food segment Aug. 24 at the College of DuPage, Glen Ellyn, Ill. Best of luck to the chefs as they vie for one of six positions on ACF Culinary Team USA. More
- Joseph Albertelli, executive chef, Westchester Country Club, Rye, N.Y.
- Brian Campbell, CEC, CCE, senior instructor, Johnson & Wales University, Charlotte, N.C.
- George Castaneda, executive chef, Sodexo, Franklin, Tenn.
- Shawn Culp, CEC, culinary arts instructor, The Art Institute of Pittsburgh, Bridgeville, Penn.
- Ben Grupe, sous chef, Old Warson Country Club, St. Louis
- Aaron Haga, CEC, chef tournant, The Broadmoor, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Jason Hall, CMC, executive chef, Hammock Dunes Club, Palm Coast, Fla.
- Adam Munroe, chef de cuisine, The Country Club, Chestnut Hill, Mass.
- Alison Murphy, executive pastry chef, The Vintage Club, Indian Wells, Calif.
- Woojay Poynter, CSC, assistant professor, Oregon Coast Culinary Institute, Coos Bay, Ore.
- John Reed, CEC, CCA, ACE, owner, Customized Culinary Solutions, Skokie, Ill.
- Matthew Seasock, CEC, executive sous chef, The Fort Worth Club, Fort Worth, Texas
- Corey Siegel, CC, rounds cook, The Greenbrier, White Sulphur Springs, W.Va.
- Ashley VanHulle, baker, MotorCity Casino Hotel, Detroit, Mich.
ACFEF Scholarships Awarded
The American Culinary Federation Education Foundation (ACFEF) awarded financial scholarships through the AAC Balestreri/Cutino and Ray & Gertrude Marshall scholarship funds to the following culinary students:
- Alyssa Basham, Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, N.Y.
- Kendra Farr, Platt College, Tuttle, Okla.
- Shronda Logan, Ball State University, Muncie, Ind.
- Richard Simon, The Art Institute of Indianapolis, Indianapolis
- Elaine Sterling, Oregon Coast Culinary Institute, Coos Bay, Ore.
Four high school students also received scholarships through a partnership between the American Academy of Chefs® and the Culinary Institute of America. Each student will receive $2,500 annually for four years.
- Alyssa Basham
- Abigail Gilkey
- Kaylee Gill
- Nicole McKinnell
Congratulations to all. You can learn more about ACFEF scholarships and how to apply by visiting the ACF website.
National Apprenticeship Training Program for Cooks—Fabrication Station
Do you want to teach your staff or students about a specific area of the professional kitchen? If so, ACF’s National Apprenticeship Training Program for Cooks is for you. Compiled and published by American Technical Publishers, the series—sold as 10 individual modules or a book—covers the 10 ACFEF Apprenticeship Program stations and outlines culinary techniques that have been validated by the culinary industry and sanctioned by the U.S. Department of Labor. More
The Fabrication Station module provides readers with information on fabrication techniques for poultry, fish, shellfish and various meats; proper handling and storage methods; and information on “food miles” and other sustainable practices. Learn more and purchase your copy today.