The Culinary Insider - July 29, 2013 (Vol. XI, Issue 16)
ACF Chefs Win WACS Americas Semifinals
Scott Ryan, CEC, executive chef, The Country Club, Pepper Pike, Ohio, and a member of ACF Cleveland Chapter, Inc., took first place in the World Association of Chefs Societies (WACS) Global Chefs Challenge semifinals for the Americas held July 21 at Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in Las Vegas, Las Vegas. Reilly Meehan, a member of ACF San Francisco Chapter, took first place in the Hans Bueschkens World Junior Chefs Challenge semifinals for the Americas. Ryan and Meehan will compete as representatives of the Americas in their respective finals July 5, 2014, at the WACS Congress in Stavanger, Norway. Congratulations to both chefs and best of luck. More
ACF National Convention a Success
The 2013 ACF National Convention was a success with more than 1,500 chefs, cooks, students and foodservice professionals attending the annual event at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Las Vegas, July 21–25. Hosted by ACF Chefs Las Vegas, the convention provided attendees with opportunities to advance their professional development and enhance their culinary skills. Some of this year’s presenters included Ming Tsai, chef/owner of Blue Ginger, Wellesley, Mass.; Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger, chefs/owners of Los Angeles-based Border Grill restaurants and Border Grill Truck; Rick Moonen, chef/owner of Rick Moonen’s rm seafood, Las Vegas; and Farmer Lee Jones, owner of The Chef’s Garden, Huron, Ohio. More
A sincere thank-you to our sponsors and exhibitors whose support was instrumental to our success. Congratulations to all the competition winners and award recipients and honorees for their outstanding contributions and for a job well done.
Below are the 2013 ACF award winners and honorees:
U.S.A.’s Chef of the Year™, sponsored by Unilever Food Solutions
Eddie Tancredi, CEC, corporate chef, Cleveland Restaurant Group, Cleveland; ACF Cleveland Chapter Inc.
ACF Pastry Chef of the Year, sponsored by Plugrá® European-Style Butter
Alison Murphy, pastry chef, The Vintage Club, Indian Wells, Calif.; ACF national member
Chef Educator of the Year
Leslie Eckert, CWPC, CCE, MBA, culinary-arts instructor, The International Culinary School at The Art Institute of Tampa, Tampa, Fla.; ACF Tampa Bay Culinary Association, Inc.
Student Chef of the Year, sponsored by Custom Culinary, Inc.
Jaclyn Adamonis, Joliet Junior College, Joliet, Ill.; ACF Louis Joliet Chapter
Chef Professionalism Award, sponsored by MINOR’S®
James Connolly, CEC, CCA, AAC, divisional director of culinary services for New England, Atria Senior Living Group, Louisville, Ky.; ACF Epicurean Club of Boston
Hermann G. Rusch Chef’s Achievement Award
Klaus Friedenreich, CMC, AAC, chef-instructor, Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in Orlando, Orlando, Fla.; ACF Central Florida Chapter
Student Team National Championship, sponsored by R.L. Schreiber, Inc.
Joliet Junior College, Joliet, Ill.; ACF Louis Joliet Chapter; Timothy Baran, Jacob Bernard, Joseph Biskie, Vince Cassidy and Amy Gutierrez; Timothy Bucci, CEC, CCE, CHE, coach
Baron H. Galand Culinary Knowledge Bowl, sponsored by American Technical Publishers
Westmoreland County Community College, Youngwood, Pa.; Nicole Cervone, Christina Crouse, Tonia Eisaman, Ryan Moore and Courtney Nalevanko; Carol Baier, CC, coach
ACF National Championship Collegiate Dining Challenge
University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Ind.; Charu Chandra Pant, CEC, ACE, test kitchen chef, and Greg Larson, CEC, unit chef, North Dining Hall
Flavors of the Mediterranean—A Minute® Rice Competition, Sponsored by Riviana® Foods
Cyril Ortigosa-Liaz, third cook, Yale University Catering, New Haven, Conn.; Connecticut Chefs Association
ACF Humanitarian Award
Rick Moonen, chef/owner, Rick Moonen’s rm seafood, Las Vegas
ACF Immediate Past President’s Award
Mary “Betsy” LaSorella, CEPC, pastry chef-instructor, Midwest Culinary Institute, Cincinnati; Midwest Culinary Institute Faculty Chapter
ACF Industry Partnership Award
NEWCHEF Fashion Inc., Los Angeles
ACF Communicator of the Year
Joseph Gonzales, retired, Beaverton, Ore.; ACF Chefs de Cuisine Society of Oregon
ACF National Chapter of the Year
ACF Philadelphia Delaware Valley Chefs Association, Philadelphia
ACF Region of the Year
ACF Central Region
ACF Heroes Award Recipients
- Americo DiFronzo, CEC, CCA, AAC, executive chef, Union Oyster House, Boston; ACF Epicurean Club of Boston
- Lynn Krause, CEPC, AAC, chef, St. Louis; Chefs de Cuisine Association of St. Louis Inc.
- Jill Mora, professor, College of Southern Nevada, North Las Vegas, Nev.
ACF Leadership Award
Steve Jilleba, CMC, CCE, AAC, corporate executive chef, Unilever Food Solutions, Lisle, Ill.
ACF President’s Medallion Recipients
- Joseph Amabile, CCC, culinary-arts teacher, Newark Public Schools, Newark, N.J.; ACF Northern New Jersey Chapter
- Gerald Bolton, executive chef, The Oncenter, Syracuse, N.Y.; ACF Syracuse New York Chapter
- Mark Brown, CEC, CCA, executive chef, The Sanctuary Golf Club, Sanibel Island, Fla.; The Southwest Florida Chapter of the ACF
- Christopher Koetke, CEC, CCE, MBA, HAAC, vice president, school of culinary arts, Kendall College, Chicago; ACF Windy City Professional Culinarians Inc.
- Joseph Leonardi, CEC, executive chef, Somerset Club, Boston; ACF Rhode Island Chapter
- Hubert Schmieder, AAC, retired, Lafayette, Ind.; ACF Greater Indianapolis Chapter
- Tene Shake, owner, Tene Shake Signature Restaurants, Monterey, Calif., ACF Monterey Bay Chapter
- George Sideras, CEC, corporate executive chef, Nestle Professional, Solon, Ohio; ACF Greater Dayton Chapter
Cutting Edge Award Recipients
- Claude Buzon, HAAC, owner, Chef’s Hat Inc., Edmonton, Alberta
- Salvatore Campagna, CEC, HAAC, retired, San Carlos, Calif.; ACF San Francisco Chapter
- Ronald DeSantis, CMC, AAC, MBA, director of culinary excellence, Yale Dining at Yale University, New Haven, Conn.; Mid Hudson Culinary Association
- Joseph Hardiman, HAAC, president, Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in Orlando, Orlando, Fla.; ACF Central Florida Chapter
- Mary Louise Huebner, HAAC, marketing director/vice president, and Peter Huebner, HAAC, president, Canada Cutlery, Inc., Pickering, Ontario; ACF of Greater Buffalo New York
- Farmer Lee Jones, owner, The Chef’s Garden, Huron, Ohio
- Donald Miller, CEC, CCE, AAC, executive chef, University of Notre Dame Food Services, Notre Dame, Ind.; ACF South Bend Chefs and Cooks Association
- Ming Tsai, executive chef/owner, Blue Ginger, Wellesley, Mass.
ACF Achievement of Excellence Awards
- The Bears’ Steakhouse; Duanesburg, N.Y.
- Chop Stix Restaurant; Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Detroit Athletic Club; Detroit
- Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse; Chicago
- Le Coq Au Vin; Orlando, Fla.
- Old Town Club; Winston-Salem, N.C.
- Orchids at Palm Court; Cincinnati
- Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks; South Portland, Maine
- Spiedini Ristorante; Las Vegas
- Spring House Restaurant, Kitchen & Bar; Winston-Salem, N.C.
- Todd’s Unique Dining; Henderson, Nev.
World of Thanks Award
ACF Chefs Las Vegas
Chef & Child Foundation Awards
True Spirit Award
Jacob Williams, CEC, ACF Michigan Chefs de Cuisine Association
Little Oscar Award
ACF Southwestern Virginia Chapter
ACF 10K Challenge
ACF North Carolina Chapter
American Academy of Chefs Honorees and Inductees
The American Academy of Chefs (AAC), the honor society of the American Culinary Federation (ACF), honored and inducted the following culinarians July 23, at the 42nd Annual AAC Induction Reception and Dinner during the 2013 ACF National Convention, which took place at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Las Vegas, July 21–25. More
AAC Chair’s Medal
William C. Franklin, CMC, WGMC, AAC, corporate executive chef, Nestle Professional, Centennial, Colo.; ACF Colorado Chefs Association
Lawrence A. Conti, CEC, AAC, HOF, Chair’s Achievement Award
Fawzi A. Ottman, CEC, AAC, executive chef, Odyssey Country Club, Palos Park, Ill.; ACF Chicago Chefs of Cuisine Inc.
Joseph Amendola Award
Wolfgang A. Bierer, CMPC, CEC, CCE, AAC, retired, Hilton Head Island, S.C.; ACF Chefs of the Low Country
Chef Good Taste Award
John Kukucka, AAC, executive chef, Essex Golf and Country Club, LaSalle, Ontario; ACF Michigan Chefs de Cuisine Association
Lt. General John D. McLaughlin Award
Mark Warren, CEC, AAC, The Joint Culinary Center of Excellence SGM, U.S. Army, Fort Lee, Va.; Old Dominion ACF Chapter
Sharing Culinary Traditions Award
Bill Sy, CEC, AAC, academic director, culinary arts and management, The International Culinary School at The Art Institute of Tucson, Chandler, Ariz.; ACF Chefs Association of Southern Arizona Tucson
Alan Wong, chef/owner, Alan Wong’s Restaurant, Honolulu
AAC Culinary Hall of Fame
- John Kinsella, CMC, CCE, WGMC, AAC, HOF, Ph.D., D.B.A. (honorary); president/CEO, Smart Chefs LLC, Cincinnati; ACF Greater Cincinnati Chapter
- Louis Perrotte, CEC, AAC, HOF, chef/owner, Le Coq Au Vin, Orlando, Fla; ACF Central Florida Chapter
- Robert Lippert, CEC, CCE, AAC, HOF, retired; ACF Capital Professional Chefs & Cooks Association of Greater Lansing
- Norman Myerow, CEPC, CCE, AAC, HOF, posthumous (1938–2010)
- Robert Hatoff, HAAC, HOF, posthumous (1942–2010)
AAC Academy Fellows
- Alan L. Anderson, CEC, AAC, executive chef, Rogue Valley Manor, Medford, Ore.; ACF Southern Oregon Chapter
- Ronald L. Andrews, CEC, AAC, executive chef, Brays Island Plantation, Sheldon, S.C.; ACF Chefs of the Low Country
- Leslie T. Bender, CEC, AAC, executive chef, Trump Plaza Hotel and Casino, Atlantic City, N.J., ACF Professional Chefs Association of South Jersey
- Jay Christmas, CEC, CCA, AAC, Winston-Salem, N.C.; ACF North Carolina Chapter
- Keith Coughenour, CEC, AAC, executive chef, The Duquesne Club, Pittsburgh; ACF Pittsburgh Chapter
- Rebecca Formwalt, CSC, CCE, AAC, chef educator, Emerson School of Hospitality, Buffalo, N.Y., ACF of Greater Buffalo New York
- Jacqueline L. Hamilton, CEC, AAC, senior executive chef, U.S. Olympic Committee, Colorado Springs, Colo., ACF Pikes Peak Chapter Inc.
- James A. Lauser, CEC, AAC, executive chef, chef consultant/ice sculptor, Smyrna, Del., ACF First State Chefs Association
- James Burton McAfee, CEC, AAC, club house manager and executive chef, Pine Bluff Country Club, Pine Bluff, Ark., ACF Central Arkansas Chapter
- Michael K. McCombe, CEC, CCE, AAC, culinary-arts instructor, Middle Bucks Institute of Technology, Jamison, Pa., ACF Philadelphia Delaware Valley Chefs Association
- Mark A. Mistriner, CEC, AAC chair, business and hospitality division/coordinator of culinary arts, Niagara Falls Culinary Institute (Niagara County Community College), Sanborn, N.Y., ACF of Greater Buffalo New York
- Gerard M. Molloy, CEPC, AAC, pastry chef instructor, Monroe College, New Rochelle, N.Y., ACF Long Island Chapter
- Greg M. Paulson, CEC, CCE, CCA, AAC, program director/instructor for culinary arts, Georgia Northwestern Technical College, Rome, Ga., ACF Greater Atlanta Chapter Inc.
- Ricardo Perez, CEC, AAC, corporate chef, R&D Culinary Consulting, Jamestown, N.C., ACF Gulf to Lakes Chefs & Cooks Association, Inc.
- Daniel Pliska, CEC, AAC, executive chef, The University Club of Missouri University, Columbia, Mo., ACF Central Missouri Chapter
- Bruce Thomas Reinecke, CEC, AAC, executive chef/manager, Aramark Healthcare Services-Duke Raleigh Hospital, Raleigh, N.C., ACF North Carolina Chapter
- Michael D. Rosen, CEC, AAC, sales manager, Neomonde Baking Company, Morrisville, N.C., ACF North Carolina Chapter
- Scott Ryan, CEC, AAC, executive chef, The Country Club, Pepper Pike, Ohio, ACF Cleveland Chapter Inc.
- Stefan Ryll, CEC, CCE, AAC, assistant professor, Southern New Hampshire University, Manchester, N.H.; ACF Professional Chefs of New Hampshire
- Mark R. Schneider, CEC, CCE, AAC, culinary-arts department chair, Texas State Technical College Waco Culinary Arts, Waco, Texas, Texas Chefs Association
- Casey E. Shiller, CEPC, AAC, program coordinator, baking and pastry arts, St. Louis Community College–Forest Park, St. Louis, Chefs de Cuisine Association of St. Louis Inc.
- Scott E. Steiner, CCE, AAC, chef instructor, Niagara Falls Culinary Institute (Niagara County Community College), Sanborn, N.Y., ACF of Greater Buffalo New York
AAC Honorary Fellows
- Soeren Billhardt, HAAC, culinary department chair, TBZ Eisenach, Eisenach, Germany
- Brian F. Lorge, HAAC, president/CEO, Lorge Marketing Services, LLC, Bolingbrook, Ill.; ACF Michigan Chefs de Cuisine Association
- Vernon Wong, CEC, HAAC, retired executive chef/consultant, Kailua Kona, Hawaii; ACF Kona-Kohala Chefs Association
- Dale “Shag” Shigenaga, HAAC, kitchen manager/assistant executive chef, Department of Food & Beverage Management, University of Nevada at Las Vegas, Las Vegas; ACF Chefs Las Vegas
- Steve Howard, HAAC, national sales director, Casa Vinicola Zonin–USA, Barboursville, Va.
Thank You National Sponsors
We extend our sincerest appreciation to the national sponsors of the 2013 ACF National Convention, whose support was and will continue to be vital to the success of our convention, the ACF Events Series and the many programs of ACF.
National sponsors of the 2013 ACF National Convention were: Acosta; Alabama Gulf Seafood; Albert Uster Imports; Allen Brothers; American Public University System; American Roland Food Corporation; American Technical Publishers; Acqua Panna® Natural Spring Water; Barry Callebaut; BelGioioso Cheese, Inc.; California Avocado Commission; Campbell Soup Company; Canada Cutlery Inc.; CaterSource® Magazine; Custom Culinary, Inc.; Ecolab®; Heritage Food Service Group; Hobart Corp.; illy caffe; Irinox USA; J.R. Simplot Company; Johnson & Wales University; Lactalis Foodservice; McCormick For Chefs; Michelman & Robinson, LLP; MINOR’S®; Mississippi Seafood Marketing; Monterey Bay Aquarium; NEWCHEF Fashion Inc.; Nueske’s Applewood Smoked Meats; Oneida; Plugra® European-Style Butter; PreGel AMERICA; R.L. Schreiber, Inc.; RATIONAL; Riviana® Foods; S.Pellegrino® Sparkling Natural Mineral Water; The Schwan Food Company; Southern Wine & Spirits of Nevada; StarKist®; Tyson Food Service; US Foods; Unilever Food Solutions; Valrhona; Victorinox Swiss Army; Villeroy & Boch; Vitamix® Corporation; Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board; and Wusthof.