The Culinary Insider - November 4, 2013 (Vol. XI, Issue 23)
Nationwide is on ACF’s Side
ACF and Nationwide Insurance have teamed up to offer ACF members a special discount on auto insurance. Below are five reasons why you should choose Nationwide for car insurance. Visit the website to learn more.
- Car Insurance for Less with a Member-Only Discount: As an ACF member, you are eligible for an exclusive discount.
- Safe Drivers Get a Free Pass: When you add Vanishing Deductible, you can take $100 off your deductible each year for safe driving for a total savings of $500.
- Better Claims Service: Four out of five policyholders who have filed a claim would recommend Nationwide to a friend or family member.
- Repair Guarantee: With Nationwide’s worry-free claims service, you get 24/7 access, a 100% guarantee on repairs and 24-hour On Your Side® Auto Repair updates.
- On Your Side® Review: A Nationwide On Your Side® Review helps you see the big picture, so you can get auto insurance coverage that fits your needs, goals and budget.
MyCulinaryCampus.com Offers ACF-Approved CEHs
MyCulinaryCampus.com now offers CEHs that include 5-hours in Food Management (allergens, nutrition, kitchen recycling and children menus), 7-hours on the Keys to Baking (shop 101, cake making, cake mixing and herbs, seeds and more) and 12-hours on Supervisory Skills. MyCulinaryCampus.com has combined all 24-hours in a SPECIAL CEH package for only $8.29 per hour. CEH’s are ACF APPROVED, affordable and accessible 24/7.
Share Your Holiday Recipe
With the holidays right around the corner, everyone is looking for delicious recipes to celebrate the season. If you have a unique holiday recipe that can be recreated by chefs and home cooks, email it and a high resolution photo to email@example.com. Your recipe could be featured on ACF’s social media or sent to the media. Make sure you include your name, job title, place of employment and the best way to contact you.
Match Your Performance with High Oleic Soybean Oils
Meet the oil that matches your performance. High oleic soybean oils offer improved functionality and better-for-you benefits. Request a sample today!
2014 ACF Regional Conferences and National Convention
We are gearing up for an exciting 2014 Events Series. The theme is “Embracing a Sustainable Future” through personal, professional and green/global growth opportunities. Educational seminars and hands-on demonstrations will center on strengthening skills, inspiring careers and building a legacy for professional chefs through sustainability. Chefs interested in sharing their knowledge consistent with the theme as a presenter should submit an electronic proposal by Nov. 15. Mark your calendars and visit the ACF website for information and to register.
March 2–5, 2014 - Oakland, Calif.
Early registration deadline: Jan. 17, 2014
March 16–19, 2014 - St. Louis
Early registration deadline: Jan. 24, 2014
April 11–14, 2014 - Providence, R.I.
Early registration deadline: Feb. 21
April 26–29, 2014 - Charleston, S.C.
Early registration deadline: March 7
July 25–29, 2014
Kansas City Marriott Downtown, Kansas City, Mo.
Early registration deadline: June 6
WUSTHOF’S New PRO Line
See what chefs are saying about WUSTHOF’s new PRO line! One of the most recognizable names for quality in the food service industry, WUSTHOF introduces PRO series…their first stamped food service line since the company’s founding in 1814.
- Razor-sharp high-carbon, stain-free steel blades for effortless cutting.
- Unique, ergonomically designed soft-poly handles, which make prolonged use less taxing.
- Designed and built exclusively for the tough day-to-day demands of the commercial kitchen.
- Made in Solingen/Germany.
- NSF Certified.
ACF Media Experts Needed
ACF-certified chefs with expertise on the following culinary topics are needed for ACF’s Chefpertise Guide to serve as sources for the media on behalf of ACF. Chefs should have more than three years of experience and have a strong working knowledge of the topic, awareness of organizations that are leaders on the topic and/or knowledge of credible research on the topic. Complete and submit a Chefpertise application to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration today.
- Food trend watchers: emerging cultural regional and national U.S. food trends.
- Hispanic foods growing in popularity for home cooks and/or food producers
- Cheese as a replacement for protein
- Utilizing heritage farm animals
- Craft beer pairing with food
- Decadent airplane food
- Gourmet pizza and burgers
- Underground dining from pop-up restaurants to supper clubs
- Incorporating hyper-local foods into the menu
- Technology advancements in food safety equipment for restaurants
ACF Culinary Team USA Practices Under Way
ACF Culinary Team USA’s first practice took place Oct. 25–27 at the College of DuPage, Glen Ellyn, Ill. The 11 chefs began researching and developing the menus for the cold-food and hot-food competitions. A sincere thank you to Certified Piedmontese by Great Plains Beef for the selection of beef products they supplied. The next practice is scheduled for January 2014, also at the College of DuPage. Contact Team Manager Joseph Leonardi, CEC, if you would like to attend the practice.
The National Restaurant Association Education Foundation recognizes and celebrates outstanding leaders and innovators who have made lasting contributions to the industry through education, diversity and community service annually. Nominate someone today for the following awards: Faces of Diversity Award, Restaurant Neighbor Award and/or Educator Excellence Award.