The Culinary Insider - December 2, 2013 (Vol. XI, Issue 25)
ACF to Unveil New Logo
ACF National President Thomas Macrina, CEC, CCA, HGT, AAC, has announced that the organization will unveil a new logo Jan. 6, 2014. As ACF approaches its 85th anniversary in 2014, the new logo underscores the organization’s commitment to growth and transformation, and to innovation in the culinary world. The ACF Board of Directors engaged in a nearly five-month process to redesign and update the ACF logo. The new logo will create a more cohesive look and stronger brand recognition for all entities of the organization while drawing on the legacy of the current logo.
The new logo will be officially unveiled Jan. 6 at 1 p.m. EST via a video message in which Macrina will discuss in depth the organization’s vision moving forward, of which the logo is a significant element. The message will play at http://www.acfchefs.org/PresidentsVideoMessage.
ACF Team Receives Gold at Dubai World Hospitality Championship
The ACF culinary competition team received a gold medal at the Dubai World Hospitality Championship 2013, Dubai, UAE, giving the U.S. second place overall in the international competition. Singapore’s culinary team placed first and Australia’s team was third out of the 11 participating countries.
Teams were required to produce a pastry and cuisine buffet in 40 hours and 55 portions of the hot-food main course in 3.5 hours. The U.S. team featured dishes focused on well-known American-style foods, such as apple pie salad, Key West shrimp cocktail, turkey and U.S. prime beef, to highlight the country’s cuisine. Read more.
The seven U.S. chefs competing were:
- Edward Leonard, CMC®, WGMC, AAC®, team captain, ICA-ACF Big Apple Chapter
- Brian Beland, CMC®, ACF Michigan Chefs de Cuisine Association
- Joachim Buchner, CMC®, ACF Nation’s Capital Chefs Association
- Andy Chlebana, CEPC®, CCA®, ACF Louis Joliet Chapter
- Carlo Lamagna
- Susan Notter, ACF Harrisburg Chapter
- Austin Yancey, CEC®, CCE®, ACF Windy City Professional Culinarians Inc.
Match Your Performance with High Oleic Soybean Oils
Meet the oil that matches your performance. High oleic soybean oils offer improved functionality and better-for-you benefits. Request a sample today!
Ingredient of the Month: Cranberries
Cranberries are small, nutritional powerhouses high in antioxidants that help protect against tooth decay, urinary tract infections and inflammatory diseases. They can easily be added to a variety of dishes for an extra boost of nutrition. Learn more and get the recipes for Cranberry Granola, Cranberry & Apple Chutney, Turkey Chili with Cranberries and more in Ingredient of the Month: Cranberries, provided by the ACFEF Chef & Child Foundation.
MyCulinaryCampus.com Offers ACF-Approved CEHs
MyCulinaryCampus.com now offers CEHs that include 5-hours in Food Management (allergens, nutrition, kitchen recycling and children menus), 7-hours on the Keys to Baking (shop 101, cake making, cake mixing and herbs, seeds and more) and 12-hours on Supervisory Skills. MyCulinaryCampus.com has combined all 24-hours in a SPECIAL CEH package for only $8.29 per hour. CEH’s are ACF APPROVED, affordable and accessible 24/7.
ACF Members among Recipients of Antonin Careme Medal
Six individuals, of which four are affiliated with the ACF, were presented with the Antonin Careme Medal, Nov. 3 for their valuable contributions to the culinary profession, particularly in education and the advancement of gastronomy. The award has been presented to notable individuals such as Julia Child and Michelin Star Chef Suzette Gresham at Acquerello. To date, 165 medals have been presented. Congratulations to the ACF-member recipients.
- Aaron Johnson, ACF San Francisco Chapter
- Lars Kronmark, ACF San Francisco Chapter
- Thomas Macrina, CEC, CCA, HGT, AAC, ACF Philadelphia Chapter
- Leon Panetta, HAAC
WUSTHOF’S New PRO Line
See what chefs are saying about WUSTHOF’s new PRO line! One of the most recognizable names for quality in the food service industry, WUSTHOF introduces PRO series…their first stamped food service line since the company’s founding in 1814.
- Razor-sharp high-carbon, stain-free steel blades for effortless cutting.
- Unique, ergonomically designed soft-poly handles, which make prolonged use less taxing.
- Designed and built exclusively for the tough day-to-day demands of the commercial kitchen.
- Made in Solingen/Germany.
- NSF Certified.
Our thoughts are with the people of the Philippines and the Midwest region of the United States affected by the devastating typhoon and tornados, respectively. You can help by joining the American Culinary Federation in donating to the American Red Cross.
ACF Members in need of help from these disasters should complete the ACFEF Disaster Relief Fund ACF Member Assistance Request form and return it to ACFEF Disaster Relief Fund, American Culinary Federation, 180 Center Place Way, St. Augustine, FL 32095. Forms can also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or faxed to (904) 825-4758.
ACF e-Store Special Member Pricing
ACF’s sale on select ACF logo and closeout items, and other merchandise starts today. Shop early because quantities are limited on these items specially discounted for ACF members. Shipping is additional. Visit the ACF e-Store or call ACF’s membership department to discuss bulk purchasing options at (800) 624-9458.
- Aprons: Full Length Bib Apron, 34L x 23W with Select Sayings: $14
- Caution! I Run with Knives
- Don’t Mess with the Chef!
- What part of “It’s NOT ready yet” don’t you understand?
- Your Opinion Was Not in the Recipe
- Chef Bear with Logo: $11
- Chef Stress Relievers with Logo: $3
- 2G Cork Flash Drive with Logo: $7
- Happy Hour Opener: $4
- iPad Portfolio with Logo: $25
- Mouse Pad with Logo: $4
- Playing Cards with Logo: $4
- Spiral Notebook, 5x7, with Logo and Pen: $2.50
- Umbrella with Logo: $10