ACF Today, Vol. III, No. 16
August 8, 2005
In this edition . . .
* Award Winners at ACF National Convention
* ACF, ACFF, CCF Proposed Bylaws Passed at National Convention
* New Programs Approved for Initial Accreditation and Program Certification
* Sizzle Magazine Extends Student Recipe Contest
* NCR Seeks Chefs
* Congrats to the Chef & Child PT Cruiser winner!
* CCF Names New Officers
Award winners at ACF National Convention
Help us congratulate the following award winners, presented at ACF
* U.S.A's Chef of the Year - Richard Rosendale, CC
* Pastry Chef of the Year - Darrin Aoyama, CEPC
* Educator of the Year - Tim Michitsch, CEC, CCE
* Student Culinarian of the Year - Christopher Gould
* Chef Professionalism Award - Tom Macrina, CEC, AAC
* Hermann G. Rusch Achievement Award - Phil Learned, CEC, AAC
* ACF Nutritional Hot-Food Challenge Award - Scott Smith, CEC, CCE
* ACF Student Team National Championship - Orange Coast College
* National Chapter of the Year (TIE) - ACF Flint/Saginaw Valley Chapter and
ACF Central Florida Chapter
* AAC Chair's Medal - Denis Ellis, CEC, AAC
* Knowledge Bowl Champions - Schoolcraft College
* The Michael Ty, CEC, AAC Endowment Fund of ACF CCF - Fredrick "Chuck"
* CCF True Spirit Award - David Wasson, CCC, CCE
* ACF Chef and Child Little Oscar Award - ACF Minneapolis Chefs Chapter
Upcoming issues of both The National Culinary Review
of the Plate
will feature full coverage of the ACF National Convention.
ACF, ACFF, CCF Proposed Bylaws Passed at National Convention
The bylaw amendments for The American Culinary Federation, Inc., The American
Culinary Federation Foundation, Inc., and The American Culinary Federation Chef
& Child Foundation, Inc. as submitted to the board of governors on June 1,
2005, were passed at the ACF National Convention Board of Governors meeting on
Monday, August 1, in four motions made from the floor. These motions were to amend
the federation bylaws in Article 6, Section 2, by moving the certification committee
from the foundation bylaws Article 7, Section B, and to approve the bylaws of
ACF, ACFF and CCF.
New Programs Approved for Initial Accreditation and Program Certification
Twice a year, new programs are reviewed for inclusion into the initial ACF
Accreditation and Program Certification program. The following school's programs
were reviewed and approved in July.
Initial Grants of Accreditation to Post Secondary Programs:
* Quality College, Fresno, CA
* Tidewater Community College, Norfolk, VA
* Pikes Peak Community College, Pikes Peak, CO
* Kona Community College, HI
* Hilo Community College, HI
* Brown College, Le Cordon Bleu, Mendota Heights, MN
* Alamance Community College, Graham, NC
* Platt College, Oklahoma City, OK
Initial Program Certification of Secondary Programs:
* Greater Newbedford, New Bedford, MA
* McCann Tech High, North Adams, MA
* Shawsheen Valley Tech, Billerica, MA
Sizzle Magazine Extends Student Recipe Contest
Sizzle is extending the deadline on the recipe contest featuring Maple
Leaf Farms duck. Through Sept. 30 (postmarked), any student in the culinary arts,
including apprentices, may enter for a grand prize of a $1,000 scholarship. Second
prize is $500 in scholarship funds, and third prize is a $250 scholarship.
Any Maple Leaf Farms duck product can be used, including fresh whole, fresh
parts and further-processed (value-added, or convenience) products. Recipes showcasing
duck must be original, serve at least four and be typed out with ingredients and
steps of execution. Entries must also include a brief paragraph on how the dish
meets the needs of modern foodservice.
Students may enter more than one recipe. Include your name, address and contact
information, as well as the name and location of the school or program in which
Send recipe entries to Maple Leaf Farms Student Recipe Contest, attn: Deborah
Moore, American Culinary Federation, Inc., 180 Center Place Way, St. Augustine,
FL 32095 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Winners will be announced in the winter edition of Sizzle! For more information,
call (800) 624-9458, x106.
NCR Seeks Chefs
The National Culinary Review wants to hear from chefs who work in soup
kitchens/charities. Please contact Suzanne Hall at email@example.com.
Congrats to the Chef & Child PT Cruiser Winner
Charles Duit, CEC, AAC, a member of the Texas Chefs Association, was the winner
of the 2005 PT Cruiser raffled off by the Chef & Child Foundation. Although
he was not at the CCF event, he was at the convention, and accepted his car the
next day. CCF appreciates everyone who bought raffle tickets and offers hearty
congratulations to Chef Duit!
CCF Names New Officers
At the Board of Governor's meeting, Joe Kraft, CEC, AAC, was named CCF Foundation
president. In addition, Elizabeth Mikesell, CEC, AAC, was named chair, Vince Blancato
was named secretary and Ira Fingerman was named treasurer of Chef & Child.
All were previously CCF board members.
American Culinary Federation
Through the ACF Today e-newsletter, the federation will provide members with regular news alerts and timely information on products and services offered by the American Culinary Federation and its partners. If you do not wish to receive the newsletter, please reply to this e-mail with REMOVE in the subject header.