The Culinary Insider - July 23, 2012 (Vol. X, Issue 15)
ACF National Convention Memorable
More than 1,000 chefs, cooks, students and foodservice professionals converged in the Sunshine State for the 2012 ACF National Convention, July 14–17, at the Orlando World Center Marriott, Orlando, Fla.
Attendees had numerous opportunities to advance their professional development and enhance their culinary skills through informative workshops and seminars, cutting-edge demonstrations, hands-on workshops and a trade show featuring more than 100 exhibitors. This year’s guest presenters included Food Network’s Robert Irvine in an interactive demonstration about maintaining nutrition and presentation in every dish while tackling the impossible. Culinary legend Paul Prudhomme, HAAC, HHOF, inspired chefs with a one-of-a-kind presentation where he discussed his career successes, challenges and motivations. Iron Chef Cat Cora also made a special appearance at the convention, emphasizing to attendees what it means to be a chef.
On July 17, ACF adopted the “Feed the Planet” declaration established by the World Association of Chefs Societies and the city of Daejeon, South Korea, and joined in the worldwide chefs’ initiative. Then, Rick Moonen, an early supporter of sustainability, motivated guests to understand the chef’s role in feeding the world. Convention concluded that evening with the much anticipated President’s Grand Ball where the national award winners were announced. Congratulations to winners and all the award honorees.
A sincere thank you to our sponsors whose support was instrumental to our success and to our exhibitors for making this year’s trade show exciting.
Watch ACF-TV’s daily videos, read a recap of each day, as well as view the convention photos and download your favorites from Flickr.
ACF National Convention Competition Winners
Congratulations to the 2012 ACF competition winners and a sincere thank you to all the competitors for a job well done.
U.S.A.’s Chef of the Year™, sponsored by Unilever Food Solutions
Scott Ryan, CEC, executive chef, The Country Club, Pepper Pike, Ohio; ACF Cleveland Chapter Inc.
Pastry Chef of the Year
Adalberto Diaz Labrada, CEPC, executive chef, Cooking School, Harmons Grocery, Salt Lake City; ACF Beehive Chefs Chapter, Inc.
Chef Educator of the Year
Casey Shiller, CEPC, program coordinator, baking and pastry arts, St. Louis Community College-Forest Park, St. Louis; Chefs de Cuisine Association of St. Louis Inc.
Chef Professionalism Award, sponsored by MINOR’S®
Donald Miller, CEC, CCE, AAC, executive chef, University of Notre Dame Food Services, Notre Dame, Ind.; ACF South Bend Chefs and Cooks Association
Hermann G. Rusch Chef’s Achievement Award
Wilfred Beriau, CEC, CCE, AAC, retired department chair, culinary arts and lodging and restaurant management, Southern Maine Community College, South Portland, Maine; ACF Casco Bay Culinary Association of Portland ME
Student Chef of the Year, sponsored by Custom Culinary, Inc.
Reilly Meehan, private events cook, San Francisco Bay Area; ACF national member
Student Team Championship, sponsored by R.L. Schreiber, Inc.
State University of New York at Delhi, Delhi, N.Y.; ACF Chefs and Cooks of the Catskill Mountains; Team members are Mathew Howard, Edward Maley, Leonard Messina, James Russell and Stephanie Wickert. Victor Sommo, CEC, is the team’s coach.
Baron H. Galand Culinary Knowledge Bowl, sponsored by American Technical Publishers
Lake Washington Institute of Technology, Kirkland, Wash.; ACF Washington State Chefs Association; Team members are Richard Hill, Randall Poole, Sarah Ridges and Margaret Venema. Matthew DiMeo and Janet Shaffer, CWPC, are the team’s coaches.
What’s in Your Wok: A Fried Rice Competition, sponsored by Riviana Foods, Inc.
Austin Yancey, culinary instructor, Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in Chicago, Chicago; ACF Windy City Professional Culinarians Inc.
Galbani® Mozzarella Caprese Challenge, Sponsored by Lactalis Foodservice and Galbani® Mozzarella
Edward Adel, CEC, culinary instructor, Johnson County Community College, Overland Park, Kan.; ACF Greater Kansas City Chefs Association
Chef Coats Now Putting Comfort First
As kitchens continue to get hotter, professional chefs are turning to performance coats to stay cool. The CookCool Mesh Chef Coat, for example, increases air circulation with six vented panels for more cooking comfort. Body heat escapes quickly while allowing cool air to pass through. Learn more…
ACF National Convention Honorees and Award Recipients
Congratulations to the award recipients and honorees for their outstanding contributions, goodwill, commitment to excellence and dedication to the culinary industry.
ACF Humanitarian Award
Paul Prudhomme, HAAC, HHOF, chef/owner of K-Paul’s Louisiana Kitchen, New Orleans, and Magic Seasoning Blends Inc., Harahan, La.; ACF New Orleans Chapter
ACF Immediate Past President’s Award
Todd Kelly, executive chef/director of food and beverage, Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, Cincinnati; ACF Greater Cincinnati Chapter
ACF Industry Partnership Award
The Cheesecake Factory Bakery, Inc., Calabasas Hills, Calif.
ACF Communicators of the Year
- Jeffrey Barr, food service specialist/refrigeration solution manager, Tigar Refrigeration, Everett, Mass.; ACF Epicurean Club of Boston
- Dennis Jeffries, retired chef, Lancaster, Pa.; ACF Susquehanna Valley Chefs Association
ACF National Chapter of the Year
ACF Columbus Chapter, Columbus, Ohio
ACF Region of the Year
ACF Northeast Region
ACF President’s Medallion Recipients
- Sean Blair, CSC, Chartwells, Canal Winchester, Ohio; ACF Columbus Chapter
- Gene Cordova, CEC, CCE, president and managing partner, American Hospitality Academy Philippines, Makati City, Philippines; ACF Chefs Las Vegas
- Daniel Gorman, chef de cuisine, Terrace Level, Cherokee Town and Country Club, Atlanta; ACF Greater Atlanta Chapter Inc.
- Willie Lewis, AAC, consultant executive chef, Halperns Steaks & Seafoods, Brigantine, N.J.; ACF Professional Chefs Association of South Jersey
- Louis Perrotte, CEC, AAC, chef/owner, Le Coq Au Vin, Orlando, Fla.; ACF Central Florida Chapter
- Dieter Preiser, CEC, AAC, executive chef, Dole Food Service Company, Scottsdale, Ariz.; ACF Chefs Association of Arizona, Inc.
- Melissa Sison, CEC, academic programs manager, Center for Culinary Arts, Manila, Quezon City, Philippines; ACF national member
Cutting Edge Award Recipients
- Russell Campbell, CEC, chief, advanced foodservice training division, U.S. Army, Fort Lee, Va.; Old Dominion ACF Chapter
- Nora Galdiano, CEC, executive chef, Hilton Orlando/Altamonte Springs, Altamonte Springs, Fla.; ACF Central Florida Chapter
- Rick Moonen, chef/owner, Rick Moonen’s RM Seafood, Las Vegas
- Patricia Nash, CEPC, executive pastry chef, MotorCity Casino Hotel, Detroit; ACF national member
ACF Achievement of Excellence Awards
- Carnival Cruise Lines’ Emerald Room Steakhouse on Carnival Glory, Miami
- Chiara, Westwood, Mass.
- Laurel Creek Country Club, Mount Laurel, N.J.
- MoonFish, Orlando, Fla.
- Niagara Falls Country Club, Lewiston, N.Y.
- St. Charles Hospital, Port Jefferson, N.Y.
- St. Joseph’s Hospital Health Center, Syracuse, N.Y.
- The Breakers Palm Beach, Palm Beach, Fla.
- The Sanctuary Golf Club, Sanibel, Fla.
- VIVO Seasonal Trattoria, Hartford, Conn.
- White Manor Country Club, Malvern, Pa.
Chef & Child Foundation Award Recipients
A sincere thank you to all ACF members and chapters for their dedication and support in raising awareness about childhood nutrition. Congratulations to the 2012 Chef & Child Foundation award recipients.
Michael Ty, CEC®, AAC®, Endowment Fund
James Kokenyesdi, CEC, CCA, foodservice supervisor, St. Clair County Community Mental Health Authority, Port Huron, Mich.; ACF Michigan Chefs de Cuisine Association
Michael Hiller, chef, Delaware North Companies, Sportservice, Chicago; ACF Windy City Professional Culinarians Inc.
Little Oscar Award
ACF Southwestern Virginia Chapter, Roanoke, Va.
AAC Honorees and Inductees
The American Academy of Chefs® (AAC®), the honor society of the American Culinary Federation(ACF), honored the following during its 41st Annual AAC Induction Dinner held at the Waldorf Astoria Orlando, Orlando, Fla., July 15 during the 2012 ACF National Convention. Congratulations to all.
AAC Distinguished Leadership Award
Michael Ty, CEC, AAC, ACF national president, executive chef, MT Cuisine, LLC, Las Vegas
AAC Chair’s Medal
Michael L. Minor, CEC, AAC, culinary ambassador, Custom Culinary, Inc., Lombard, Ill.; ACF Cleveland Chapter Inc.
Lawrence A. Conti, CEC, AAC, HOF, Chair’s Achievement Award
Harry Brockwell, CEC, AAC, owner, Oceanside Caterers, Westlake Village, Calif.; Ventura Chefs Association
Joseph Amendola Award
Albert Imming, CMPC, CCE, AAC, culinary professor emeritus, Joliet Junior College, Joliet, Ill.; ACF Louis Joliet Chapter
Chef Good Taste Award
Paul J. O’Toole, CEC, AAC, executive chef, Deerfield Golf and Tennis Club, Newark, Del.; ACF Philadelphia Chapter
Lt. General John D. McLaughlin Award
David J. Turcotte, CEC, AAC, executive chef, U.S. Army, Fort Lee, Va.; ACF Savannah Chefs Association
Sharing Culinary Traditions Award
Ralph Comstock, CEC, AAC, retired executive chef, Ivy Tech Community College, Indianapolis; ACF Greater Indianapolis Chapter
Lifetime Achievement Award
Gino Corelli, CEC, AAC, HOF, retired executive chef, Brown University, Providence, R.I., ACF Rhode Island Chapter
Culinary Hall of Fame Celebrated Chef
Culinary Hall of Fame
- Anton Flory, CMC, WGMC, AAC, HOF, (1931–2010), posthumous
- Christian Inden, WGMC, AAC, CHA, HOF, retired master chef/certified hotel administrator, Danville, Ky.; Bluegrass Culinary Association ACF
- Anthony Patalano, AAC, HOF, retired executive chef, Merion Caterers, Cherry Hill, N.J.; ACF Professional Chefs Association of South Jersey
- Pierre H. Rausch, CEC, WCC, AAC, HOF, retired executive chef, Pottstown, Penn.; ACF Philadelphia Chapter
- Clark V. Braun, CEC, AAC, executive chef, Alpine Inn, Hill City, S.D.; ACF Black Hills Chapter of Professional Chefs
- James F. Connolly, CEC, AAC, divisional director of culinary services, Atria Senior Living Management LLC, Louisville, Ky.; ACF Epicurean Club of Boston
- Shawn L. Hanlin, CEC, AAC, executive director, Oregon Coast Culinary Institute, Coos Bay, Ore.; ACF Bay Area Chefs Association of Oregon
- Brian A. Hardy, CEC, CCA, AAC, director of foodservice/executive chef, The Gatesworth, St. Louis, Mo.; Chefs de Cuisine Association of St. Louis
- Tony Hilligoss, CCE, AAC, culinary arts instructor, Parkside High School Career & Technology Center, Salisbury, Md.; Delmarva Chefs & Cooks Association
- David W. Knickrehm, CEC, AAC, executive chef, Bella Aquila, Eagle, Idaho; ACF Idaho Chefs de Cuisine
- Franz X. Kubak, CEC, AAC, assistant professor/chef instructor, Utah Valley University, Orem, Utah; ACF Beehive Chefs Chapter Inc.
- Roger W. Newell, CEC, CCE, CCA, AAC, culinary arts instructor, Technical Education Center Osceola, Kissimmee, Fla.; ACF Central Florida Chapter
- Michael D. Paradiso, CEPC, AAC, lead pastry instructor, Pikes Peak Community College, Colorado Springs, Colo.; ACF Pikes Peak Chapter
- Douglas J. Petruzzi, CEC, AAC, executive chef/marketing coordinator, Pocono Produce Company, Stroudsburg, Pa.; ACF Professional Chefs of Northeast Pennsylvania
- Gary J. Rawson, CEC, AAC executive chef/manager, Vanderbilt Dining, Nashville, Tenn.; ACF Middle Tennessee Chapter
- Ryan C. “RC” Schroeder Jr., CEC, AAC, executive chef/co-owner, Big Tomatoes, Green Bay, Wis., and culinary arts instructor, Fox Valley Technical College, Appleton, Wis.; ACF Fox Valley Chapter
- Gregory M. Skibinski, CEC, AAC, executive chef, Western Hills Country Club, Cincinnati; ACF Greater Cincinnati Chapter
- Christopher A. Tanner, CEC, WCC, CHE, AAC, director, The Culinary Arts Institute of Montgomery County Community College, Blue Bell, Pa.; ACF Philadelphia Chapter
- Randy J. Torres, CEC, AAC, culinary arts department chair/chef instructor, Oregon Coast Culinary Institute, Coos Bay, Ore.; ACF Bay Area Chefs Association of Oregon
- Barry R. Young, CEC, CCE, ACE, AAC, chef instructor, Columbus Culinary Institute, Columbus, Ohio; ACF Columbus Chapter
- Donald Gyurkovits, HAAC, president, Canadian Culinary Federation, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; ACF national member
- Joseph Hardiman, HAAC, president, Le Cordon Bleu-Orlando, Orlando, Fla.; ACF Central Florida Chapter
- Guy Lott, HAAC, director of sales, Carrington Foods, Saraland, Ala.; ACF Metro Mobile Chefs & Cooks Association
- Cary Miller, HAAC, vice president, Food Industry News, Park Ridge, Ill.; ACF Windy City Professional Culinarians Inc.
- Neal Miller, HAAC, vice president, food and beverage, Poarch Creek Indian Gaming Authority, Atmore, Ala.
- Allan Okuda, CEC, HAAC, director, culinary arts, Hawaii Community College, Hilo, Hawaii; ACF national member