The Culinary Insider - March 25, 2013 (Vol. XI, Issue 6)
Dues Must Be Paid by March 31 to Vote in ACF’s National Officer Elections
ACF members must have their membership dues paid by March 31 to be eligible to vote in ACF’s national officer elections taking place in May. Email address and contact information must also be current. Log in to ACF’s website and update your profile or call (800) 624-9458. If you have questions about the elections, call Mark Kent, CEC, AAC, chair, ACF Nominations & Elections Committee, at (330) 972-2349.
Chefs, Students and ACF Chapters Honored at ACF Northeast Conference
The 2013 ACF Northeast Regional Conference, hosted by ACF Syracuse New York Chapter, at Turning Stone Resort Casino, Verona, N.Y., March 17–20, brought more than 450 chefs, cooks and foodservice professionals to Verona. More than 25 chefs, students and chapters were honored at the conference. Many of these award winners will compete against their regional counterparts at the 2013 ACF National Convention in Las Vegas, July 21–25. Find out who were the competition winners and honorees.
ACF-Branded Executive Chef Coat
Display your affiliation with pride. Our ACF Piped Front Executive Chef Coat features the official logo of the American Culinary Federation with prominent right sleeve embroidery. Bronze buttons with matching piping and a back-collar American flag icon make this premium cotton coat unique. Available with additional personalization—customize yours today.
Calling All Culinary Educators
Would you like to be featured in a future issue of Sizzle magazine?
Sizzle magazine would like to feature you in a future issue in one of its culinary school/chef-driven departments. Please email Sizzle@acfchefs.net if you would like to be featured in a future issue in one of the departments below.
- Slice of Life is written by culinary students involved in an interesting externship in which they share a day in their externship life in diary format.
- Classical V. Modern is a joint effort by a chef or chef-instructor and a student or apprentice in which the student develops a classical recipe and chef offers up a creative, modern version of the same dish or item. It can also be done by two chef-instructors.
- By Degrees highlights a dish or procedure that culinary students should learn. It is demonstrated by description and with step-by-step photos.
- Taste Test is an ACFEF-accredited program’s opportunity to explain what is unique about the school’s program—something that sets it apart from others.
- International Flavors focuses on a region of the world from a culinary perspective. The locale may be someplace recently visited, the chef’s home country, or current location outside the U.S.
ACFEF Grants and Scholarships
The American Culinary Federation Education Foundation (ACFEF) offers several educational scholarships and professional development grants throughout the year. Scholarship deadlines for culinary students are fast approaching. March 31 is the deadline for high school students accepted to an ACFEF-accredited postsecondary school and May 1 for college students currently enrolled in an ACFEF accredited postsecondary school. In addition, culinary professionals who wish to enhance their skills through continuing education can apply for grants throughout the year to help with registration fees for ACF regional conferences and national convention. Visit the ACF website to learn more at www.acfchefs.org/scholarships. Applications should be mailed to the attention of the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation, 180 Center Place Way, St. Augustine, FL 32095.
Food Network Casting
Have you been dreaming of owning and operating your very own food truck? The Food Network is searching for passionate chefs and inspiring stories from all walks of life—trained chefs, amateur chefs, line cooks, sous chefs, home cooks and dedicated foodies—to compete for the chance to own and operate their very first food truck. Learn more and apply.
Are you passionate about food and have you always dreamed about owning an eatery of your own? In this new show two teams battle head-to-head to win a restaurant space within a local mall rent free for an entire year. Learn more and apply.
AAC® 2013 Candidates for Induction
Congratulations to the following 2013 candidates that will be inducted into the American Academy of Chefs® (AAC®), the honor society of the ACF, at the ACF National Convention, July 21–25, in Las Vegas. This is a tremendous accomplishment for these chefs, as the AAC represents the highest standards of professionalism in the organization, society and industry. Learn more about the inductees.
- Daniel Pliska, CEC
- Casey E. Shiller, CEPC
- James Burton McAfee, CEC
- Mark R. Schneider, CEC, CCE
- Gerard M. Molloy, CEPC
- Keith Alan Coughenour
- James A. Lauser, CEC
- Stefan Ryll, CEC, CCE
- Scott Ryan, CEC
- Scott E. Steiner, CCE
- Rebecca L. Formwalt, CSC, CCE
- Michael P. McCombe, CEC, CCE
- Mark A. Mistriner, CEC
- Leslie T. Bender, CEC
- Ronald L. Andrews, CEC
- Bruce Thomas Reinecke, CEC
- Greg M. Paulson, CEC, CCE
- Ricardo Perez, CEC
- Michael D. Rosen, CEC
- Jay Christmas, CEC, CCA
- Alan L. Anderson, CEC
- Jacqueline L. Hamilton, CEC
- Soeren Billhardt
- Brian F. Lorge
- Tommy Ho
- Vernon Wong, CEC
- Shag Shigenaga, CSC