The Culinary Insider - February 10, 2014 (Vol. XII, Issue 3)
Embrace a Sustainable Future at an ACF Conference
Registration Deadlines Approaching
Embrace a Sustainable Future through personal, professional and green/global growth opportunities at an ACF conference. The focus of the conferences is on sustainability with a variety of opportunities to help chefs grow professionally and personally with educational seminars and demonstrations that strengthen skills, inspire careers and build a legacy for professional chefs through sustainability.
Visit the ACF website to learn more, see conference schedules and register.
March 2–5 - Oakland, Calif.
Online Registration Closes Feb. 14
Join us March 2–5, at the Oakland Marriott City Center, Oakland, Calif., as internationally-acclaimed Martin Yan, creator and host of the “Yan Can Cook Show” on PBS, and founder/chef partner of San Francisco’s M.Y. China restaurant, demonstrates his signature cooking style with a special guest assistant by his side during General Session.
Check out the online schedules for each conference to see the exciting line up of presenters!
March 16–19, 2014 - St. Louis
Online Registration Closes Feb. 28
April 11–14, 2014 - Providence, R.I.
Early registration deadline: Feb. 21
April 26–29, 2014 - Charleston, S.C.
Early registration deadline: March 7
WUSTHOF’S New PRO Line
One of the most recognizable names for quality in the food service industry, WUSTHOF introduces PRO series—their first stamped food service line since the company’s founding in 1814.
- Razor-sharp high-carbon, stain-free steel blades for effortless cutting.
- Unique, ergonomically designed soft-poly handles, which make prolonged use less taxing.
- Designed and built exclusively for the tough day-to-day demands of the commercial kitchen.
- Made in Solingen/Germany.
- NSF Certified.
ACF Members Make U.S. Proud at 6th Gelato World Cup
The 6th Gelato World Cup took place in Rimini, Italy, as part of SIGEP, the International Exhibition for the Artisan Production of Pastry, Confectionery and Bakery, Jan. 18–22. Congratulations to the ACF members representing the United States in this prestigious competition for a job well done.
- Claude Lambertz, team manager, and chef instructor, University of Nevada, Las Vegas; ACF Chefs of Las Vegas
- John S. Hui, CEPC, AAC, team captain, and corporate pastry chef, Pebble Beach Resorts; ACF Chefs of Las Vegas
- Travis Dale, CEC, CCA, executive chef, Artisan Ice Sculptures; ACF North Carolina Chapter
- Dirk Koeppenkastrop, managing owner, IL Gelato Hawaii; ACF Honolulu Chapter
- Mellisa Root, consulting pastry chef, Westchester Country Club, ACF national member
The competition, held every two years, gives international attention to new trends in the artisan gelato sector. The eleven teams that competed were Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Italy, Morocco, Mexico, Poland, Spain and the USA. Each team consisted of a professional chef, pastry chef, gelato artisan, ice sculptor and a team manager competing in several categories. France won the title, Italy placed second and Poland was third.
Center for the Advancement of Foodservice Education (CAFE)
CAFE 2014 Events for Educators
2nd-Annual Deans and Directors Retreat
Kendall College, Chicago
Topics include leading change within your organization, distinguishing fads from trends, determining the value of culinary education (and telling your story!), strategies to improve student retention, update on social-media integration, more. Registration includes opening reception, lunches, breaks, transportation to/from hotel and ACF continuing-education hours. Visit www.cafemeetingplace.com/cafe-events/managing-change for agenda, registration and lodging info.
** Limited to 50 attendees! **
Join ACF on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn to Find Out the Latest News
Join ACF on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn to find out about exciting opportunities, industry updates and more. Share your news, thoughts and views with more than 21,000 chefs, foodservice professionals and culinarians.
Take Charge of Your Present and Future
Michael Roddey, CEC, CCE, CCA, CDM, CFPP, owner/chef consultant of Gastronomic Services & Consulting, Duncansville, Pa., and a member of Southern Allegheny Chefs Association, wrote an insightful article in the January issue of Cutting Edge. In the article, Take Charge of Your Present and Future, Roddey highlights ACF certification and points out the benefits of obtaining dual certifications from the ACF and Association of Nutrition & Foodservice Professionals (AFNP). Roddey and contributor Nick Nickless, chef/supply & services director, DDSN Coastal Center, Summerville, S.C., co-chair ANFP’s Culinary Task Force. Read the article.
ACF and NOCTI Celebrate Career & Technical Education Month
Kudos to the 162 American Culinary Federation Education Foundation (ACFEF) certified secondary culinary arts programs in high schools. In 2013, 208 students graduated with an entry-level certification, Certified Junior Culinarian designation, which is only available to graduates of an ACFEF-accredited program. ACFEF programmatic certification is voluntary, and a program must meet set standards and competencies. Thank you to National Occupational Competency Testing Institute (NOCTI), our partner and assessor, in helping make this possible. Find out which programs are certified.
Tips for Lowering Your Insurance Premiums from Nationwide
Nationwide, one of ACF’s Member Advantage Program partners, suggests the following shortcuts to save on your auto and homeowners insurance policies.
- Policyholders who choose Nationwide for both auto insurance and homeowners insurance can save up to 20%—on both policies.
- Simple things like smoke detectors, fire alarms, solid exterior doors and secondary locks on sliding glass doors can lower your premium.
- Discounts of up to 15% may be available when you install a monitored security system in your home.
- Register for a defensive driving course. Successfully completing a defensive driving course can save you up to 10% on your auto policy—even if you take it after getting a speeding ticket.
- Save up to 10% when you have at least five years of accident-free driving.
- Students who maintain a GPA of 3.0 or better are rewarded with a Good Student Discount of up to 15%.
- Replacing your roof or upgrading your heating, plumbing or electrical systems could offer opportunities for insurance savings.
Call (866) 633-5747 and mention your ACF membership for discounts or visit Nationwide for more information or a quote.