The Culinary Insider - February 24, 2014 (Vol. XII, Issue 4)
ACF Website Enhanced
Have you looked at the home page of ACF’s website lately? The biggest change you will notice is that many of the presenters at the ACF regional conferences are highlighted. Just click the picture and read about their session. In the upper right corner you will see “Select Language,” which enables the website to be translated into 19 languages. On the right side you will see an image with “Succeed with ACF”
that links you to the national convention. Find a job has been enhanced and was added to the red bar menu and rotator making it easier for job hunters and employers. The members only page now also includes job listings with a search box.
Ingredient of the Month: Carrots
Carrots have a crunchy texture with a sweet aromatic taste and can be paired with sweet and savory dishes. One serving of carrots contains over 300 percent of the daily requirement of vitamin A, which is essential for healthy eyes, bones and teeth. Find out more in February’s Ingredient of the Month by ACFEF Chef & Child Foundation, including healthy recipes for Emerald Asparagus Soup, Whipped Fresh Herb Cheese, Carrot Pancakes and more. Use these Farm-to-Fit tools in community events to create awareness about developing a healthy lifestyle.
WACS Congress to Convene in Norway
The World Association of Chefs Societies Congress, hosted by the Norwegian Chefs Association, takes place this year in Stavanger, Norway, July 2–5. The congress offers a wide array of professional-development opportunities, networking and competitions. Watch the video to see some of the locations that will be visited during the conference. The early registration discount expires March 31.
Scott Ryan, CEC, AAC, executive chef at The Country Club, Pepper Pike, Ohio, and 2012 U.S.A.’s Chef of the Year, will be competing in the Global Chefs Challenge, and Reilly Meehan, a line cook at Parallel 37 in The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco, and 2012 ACF Student Chef of the Year, will be competing in the Hans Bueschkens Young Chefs Challenge. Ryan, a member of ACF Cleveland Chapter Inc., and Meehan, a member of ACF San Francisco Chapter, both won their respective semifinal competitions for the Americas in July 2013.
AAC® 2013 Candidates for Induction
Congratulations to the following 2013 candidates selected for induction into the American Academy of Chefs® (AAC®), the honor society of the ACF, at the ACF National Convention, July 25–29, in Kansas City, Mo. This is a tremendous accomplishment for these chefs, as the AAC represents the highest standards of professionalism in the organization, society and industry. Learn more about the inductees.
- Darrin Aoyama, CEPC; ACF Professional Chefs Association of Houston
- Mark Brown, CEC, CCA; The Southwest Florida Chapter of the ACF
- Jesse Cobb, CEC, CFBE; ACF Chicago Chefs of Cuisine Inc.
- Mark Cochran, CEC, CCA, CFBE; ACF Culinary Arts Society of Oklahoma
- Claudio Ferrer, CEC, CCE; ACF Caxambas Chapter of Naples & Marco Island
- Thomas Hunt, CEC; ACF Columbus Chapter
- Jeffrey Mitchell, CEC, CCA; ACF Syracuse New York Chapter
- M. Glenn Pruden, CEC; ACF Virginia Chefs Association
- Michael Rigberg, CEC, CCA; ACF Tampa Bay Culinary Association, Inc.
- Paul Santaularia, CEC, CCE; ACF Greater Kansas City Chefs Association
- Fred Wright, CEC; ACF High Sierra Chefs Association
Free Continuing Education Hours
Are you looking to earn continuing education hours (CEH) at no cost to you? ACF currently has more than 22 CEHs available for free, as noted below. Visit the ACF website to see all the CEH opportunities in your area and online.
- Wild Style: The Alaska Salmon Story by Alaska Seafood—5 CEHs
- Making Chefs Move to Schools a Success Panel Discussion by Chefs Move to Schools—1 CEH
- Fresh Mango Curriculum by National Mango Board—8.5 CEHs
- Cross Contamination Action Ideas by National Pasteurized Eggs, Inc.—1 CEH
- Food Preservation Techniques by National Pasteurized Eggs, Inc.—1 CEH
- Foodborne Illness: The Fork Stops Here by National Pasteurized Eggs, Inc.—2 CEHs
- Kitchen Science: Egg Culinary Techniques by National Pasteurized Eggs, Inc.—1 CEH
- Protein Nutrition & Egg Chemistry by National Pasteurized Eggs, Inc.—1 CEH
- Cheesecyclopedia Online Course by Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board—2 CEHs
America’s Best Restaurant Families Contest
Jones Dairy Farm values dedicated business families and proudly recognizes their hard work and commitment through the America’s Best Restaurant Families contest. Enter now and you could win the grand prize of a four day trip to Chicago, passes to the National Restaurant Show and $500 spending money, $1,000 in Jones Dairy Farm products and more. Read the guidelines and enter by the March 17 deadline.
Iowa’s Best Bite Restaurant Challenge
Iowa’s Best Bite Restaurant Challenge, now in its third year, is seeking talented chefs and restaurateurs for this amazing opportunity. The winner will receive more than $120,000 to open a restaurant in beautiful downtown West Liberty, Iowa. Learn more and enter.
AquaCurean is looking for the country’s best mixologists and chefs to compete in the inaugural AquaCurean Challenge. Submit a recipe(s) using shrimp, shellfish, saltwater fish and freshwater fish for the Seafood Challenge and/or a recipe(s) with gin, vodka, tequila, bourbon and rum in the Cocktail Challenge. Read the guidelines and register by the March 21 deadline.