Certified Culinary Administrator®
Initial Application | Recommended Study Materials | Final Application
- CCA Requirement Changes Coming: Effective June 1, 2018
- Minimum Job Experience: Three years as an
Executive Chef in charge of all culinary units in a food service
operation. Must have supervised at least five full-time people.
Experience must be within the past 10 years. Employment
- Minimum Requirement: You must be a current
ACF certified CEC or CEPC to apply for this level.
- Minimum Educational Requirements: High
school diploma/GED plus 150 hours of continuing education. If you do not
have a high school diploma/GED, 250 hours of continuing education are
required. Hours earned for mandatory courses and/or refreshers are
included in the minimum CEH requirement.
In addition to the requirements
listed above, you must provide documentation of three 30-hour
courses—one in Nutrition, one in Food Safety and Sanitation, and
one in Supervisory Management. If these courses were taken more than
five years ago, an eight hour refresher course is required in each
topic. These courses are available through ACF
approved providers or any academic institution. Note: the ServSafe certificate may only be used to meet your sanitation refresher requirement.
Submit application and documentation of requirements to ACF for
E-mail (preferred): firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: (904) 940-0742
Mail to: American Culinary Federation, Inc.
180 Center Place Way
St. Augustine, FL 32095
Once the candidate’s application is approved he or she will be
eligible to take the written exam. Only after approval
may a candidate register for the written exam.
The purpose of the certification examination is to assess and
objectively measure the knowledge and skills of a candidate to determine
if they meet ACF standards.
Exam: ACF written exams are administered by Comira. The written exam fee is $75. An ACF
number is required at time of registration. To request an ACF
identification number contact email@example.com prior to
registration. You can register for the exam by calling (800) 947-4228,
option 4, Mon.–Fri. 6 a.m.–5 p.m. Pacific time, Sat. 8
a.m.–noon Pacific time, or you can register 24/7 at the ACF/Comira Online Registration Site. Please
note that you must have a credit card to register online. Written exam
scores are valid for two years.
- Candidates have one hour to complete the 100 multiple choice
- No support materials other than pens, pencils, and calculators are
- A score of seventy percent (70%) or higher is required to pass.
- Written Narrative: Four hundred (400) word detailed description of your job duties and responsibilities. Include such items as: number of operations, departments and people supervised, and direct reports as well as daily, monthly, and yearly responsibilities. A CCA® is a culinary professional who demonstrates proficiency in culinary knowledge, leadership, human resources, operational management and business planning skills. The key knowledge areas are listed below, and the narrative should expand on experience in some of these topic areas:
- Labor Laws- Federal
- Personnel Management
- Communication Skills
- Computer Skills
- Cost Accounting
- Standard Operating Procedures
- Financial Management
- Public Relations
- Strategic Planning
- Concept Engineering
Upon successful completion of the written exam, the
candidate should submit final application along with appropriate
documentation: written exam passing forms and remaining
certification fee. Make sure all back-up documentation, copies only (no
originals) are included.
Recommended Study Materials
The ACF Education Foundation offers certification training courses
and practice certification exams on eCulinary.
Courses contain study materials in all major subjects related to the ACF
certification exams, including sanitation, nutrition, and supervisory
The following books are suggested in preparation
for the written exam:
- Strategic Management and Business Policy,
9th Ed., Wheelen, Hunger: Prentice Hall BUY
- Entrepreneurial Finance, 4th Ed.,
Adelman, Marks: Prentice Hall BUY
- Fundamentals of Management, 6th
Ed., Robbins, De Cenzo: Prentice Hall BUY
- Principles of Food, Beverage, and Labor
Cost Controls, 8th Ed., Dittmer, Keefe: John Wiley & Sons BUY
- Foodservice Organizations: A Managerial
and Systems Approach, 6th Ed., Gregoire, Spears: Prentice Hall BUY
- Business Analysis with Microsoft Excel,
3rd Ed., Carlberg: Que Corporation BUY
- Microsoft Word 2002 Made Easy,
Layman, Hart: Prentice Hall BUY
Click here to contact the ACF Certification Department.