Recertification enhances continued competence and reaffirms knowledge in food safety and sanitation, nutrition and supervisory management. Learning experiences that enhance the knowledge and skill development of culinary arts professionals are considered continued education hours (CEH).
Upgrading/Adding an Additional Certification
If you are interested in upgrading your current certification or adding an additional certification, please contact the ACF Certification Department prior to applying to verify documentation already on file. Upgrading may be more appropriate for some candidates than recertification, and most of your requirements will be on file.
Current Certification Requirements
- CFC® and CFPC® - 30 CEHs every 3 years
- CC® and CPC® - 48 CEHs every 3 years
- CMC® and CMPC® - 50 CEHs every 5 years
- All other levels - 80 CEHs every 5 years
If you have additional certification levels, your CEH recertification requirements will be as follows:
Two certification levels: 120
Three certification levels: 140
Four certification levels: 160
Plan ahead to make the best use of your time and money. You can begin earning CEHs as soon as you have completed the last recertification cycle. Know what you need and begin earning CEHs early to keep up your certification. ACF Certified Members can monitor CEHs on ACF Member Profile Page.
- Food Safety and Sanitation must be current (completed no more than five years ago) for every recertification. An 8-hour refresher, state issued sanitation card or ServSafe can be used to fulfill the requirement.
- Nutrition and Supervisory Management refreshers (8 hour minimum) are only submitted one time for recertification once original 30-hour courses are more than five years old.
- 25% of your CEH must come from volunteer, leadership, or competition activities effective January 1, 2020 for all levels except CFC, CFPC, CC, and CPC.
CEH Submission Form
ACF Online Learning Center
Submit recertification application, required CEH documentation and recertification fee. Certificants with annual recertification can submit application three months ahead but no later than certification expiration date. Certificants with five-year recertification can submit application one year ahead but no later than the certification expiration date. Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing. ACF Certified Members experiencing a financial hardship may qualify for assistance. If a certificant is retired from the industry, they may choose to apply for Emeritus status, details included on application
Recertification Assistance Application
Certifications that have not been expired more than 12 months are still eligible for recertification.
Recertification after Expiration Policy
Designation Usage Policy
Have questions or need more information? Contact the ACF Certification Department.