Become an Apprentice
Apprenticeship is a combination of on-the-job training and related classroom instruction and requires no previous experience to enroll. Here are some benefits of enrolling in an ACFEF apprenticeship program:
- Participate in an “earn while you learn” approach
- Receive mentoring from qualified professional chefs
- Develop documented culinary skills that are transferable within the industry
- Learn and master cooking and baking skills by rotating through different stations
- Develop basic principles of nutrition and dietetics
- Understand the requirements for proper food handling, sanitation and hygiene
- Gain an understanding of management and supervisory knowledge in preparation for a progressive career in the culinary industry
- Acquire a professional work ethic necessary for success in the hospitality industry
- Prepare apprentices for ACF professional Certified Culinarian®, Certified Pastry Culinarian®, Certified Sous Chef® and Certified Working Pastry Chef® certification testing
What Types of Programs are Available?
Two Year Program
4,000 hour hands-on program that encompasses 150 logbook entries approved by a supervising chef at the assigned facility, or “sponsoring house,” and 445 related instruction hours covering ten concentration areas. More
Three Year Program
6,000 hour hands-on program that encompasses 150 logbook entries approved by a supervising chef at the assigned facility, or “sponsoring house,” and 445 related instruction hours covering ten concentration areas. More
Joining an Apprenticeship Program
Interested in becoming an apprentice? Complete our Apprentice Inquiry form and you will be contacted in 1-3 business days with the contact information of an apprenticeship program in your area. Or you can find a program and contact the program coordinator of the apprenticeship program you are interested in joining. For more information, visit the FAQ page, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (904) 484-0217.
Apprentice Training Resources
The ACFEF National Apprenticeship Committee partnered with American Technical Publishers to create the National Apprenticeship Training Program for Cooks. This book covers related instruction aligned to the 10 ACFEF apprenticeship stations and was developed to make learning easier with step-by-step photos, key terms and checkpoints to help learners understand the key components of each station. Purchase your copy today.