Implement an ACFEF Apprenticeship Program - Foodservice Establishments
Levels | Requirements | Maintaining | Fees | Docs and Links | Tools | Application
ACFEF recognizes the need for structured training programs to maintain the highest level of skill and competency demanded in the foodservice industry.
The ACFEF apprenticeship program is a proven training program that provides chefs, trainers and instructors with a list of industry relevant knowledge and skills competencies across all kitchen stations. The competencies are reviewed and updated by the ACFEF Apprenticeship Committee to ensure trends and techniques are relevant and align with ACF certification requirements.
Apprentices will complete the skills competencies on-the-job under the guidance of a supervising chef and the knowledge competencies through courses on the ACF Online Learning Center. Upon successful completion of the program, apprentices are eligible for ACF certification.
Benefits of Implementing an ACFEF Apprenticeship Program
- Train staff to industry standards using a reputable program.
- Increase staff retention as apprentices become committed employees.
- Improve safety, productivity and profitability.
- Develop a staff skilled in all kitchen stations to help fill gaps.
- Expand recruitment opportunities by being listed on the ACF website as an ACFEF-recognized apprenticeship program.
ACFEF Apprenticeship Program Levels
ACFEF offers three different program levels with a progressive ladder and the corresponding ACF certification at the completion of that program. Apprentices must complete a written and practical exam at the end of their apprenticeship to earn ACF certification. ACF certification is encouraged, but not required for apprentices to complete the apprenticeship program.
- Fundamentals Cook: the program offers a minimum of 1,000 hours of on-the-job training and 90 hours of related instruction. The apprentice can earn their ACF Certified Fundamental Cook or ACF Certified Fundamental Pastry Cook credential after completing the program and exams. This program is structured to fit into high school, workforce development programs and other pre-apprenticeship programs and does not require full-time employment.
- Culinarian: the program offers a minimum of 2,000 hours of on-the-job training and 240 hours of related instruction. The apprentice can earn their ACF Certified Culinarian or ACF Certified Pastry Culinarian credential after completing the program and exams.
- Sous Chef: the program offers a minimum of 4,000 hours of on-the-job training and 420 hours of related instruction. The apprentice can earn their ACF Certified Sous Chef or Certified Working Pastry Chef credential after completing the program and exams.
- Apprentices must be hired as full-time employees and receive regular progressive wages.
- The establishment must provide sufficient opportunity for the apprentice to complete the on-the-job Required Skills Competencies across ten (10) OJT Sections.
- Apprentices must work under the guidance of a qualified Supervising Chef.
- Apprentices will log their hours and track skills competencies through the ACF Apprenticeship Portal.
- Apprentices must complete the required Related Instruction through the ACF Online Learning Center.
- An ACFEF industry evaluator will perform a site visit to validate that the requirements are met. The site visit may be conducted in-person, virtually or a combination of both.
- Programs must submit an annual report to ensure database accuracy and maintenance fees.
- First renewal is three (3) years from initial ACFEF recognition. Every renewal forward is five (5) years.
- Initial application fee: $750 (includes proprietary RKSCs and site visit)
- Renewal fee: $500 (includes site visit)
- Annual maintenance fees: $75
- Fundamental (1 year): $350
- Culinarian (2 years): $650
- Sous Chef (3 years): $950
* Apprentice fees include:
- Related instruction courses on the ACF Online Learning Center
- ACF Apprenticeship Portal access
- ACF national student membership
- Access to free webinars and recorded presentations on the ACF Online Learning Center
- ACF certification fees for the corresponding level, including access to the practice written exam.
Documents and Links
Have questions? Send an email to email@example.com.