ACF National Convention Wraps Up 2014 Event Series in Style
More than 1,000 chefs, cooks, students and foodservice professionals attended the 2014 ACF National Convention, hosted by ACF Greater Kansas City Chefs Association in Kansas City, Missouri, July 25–29. The annual event provided attendees with opportunities to advance their professional development and enhance their culinary skills through hands-on workshops and seminars, cutting-edge demonstrations, a trade show featuring nearly 100 exhibitors, national competitions and ACF’s national awards.
This year’s presenters included Pat LaFrieda, third-generation meat purveyor and owner of Pat LaFrieda Meat Purveyors, North Bergen, New Jersey, who demonstrated the art of butchery; Jacquy Pfeiffer, co-founder/academic dean for student affairs, The French Pastry School, Chicago, who shared his knowledge and expertise for making desserts; and Becky Wortman, chef/owner, Imagine Something Sweet, Clayton, Washington, and one of Dessert Professional’s 2014 Top Ten Cake Artists in America, who demonstrated the art of sculpting buttercream showpieces.
During General Session, July 26, Rochelle Trotter, wife of the late renowned chef Charlie Trotter, HHOF, announced that the Charlie Trotter’s Culinary Education Foundation will donate $25,000 to the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation for culinary-arts education scholarships.
General Session included a panel tribute to Charlie Trotter by former employees and colleagues who shared memories of working with Trotter and outlined their plans for The Trotter Project, an initiative to promote culinary arts, service and education. Homaro Cantu, chef/owner, Moto, Chicago, who was also a panel member, gave a molecular gastronomy-inspired culinary demonstration.
At national convention chefs faced off in several ACF national competitions, demonstrating their culinary skills and leadership. ACF also presented awards to chefs and establishments for advancing the culinary industry and profession. Below are the 2014 ACF award winners and honorees:
U.S.A.’s Chef of the Year, sponsored by Unilever Food Solutions
Timothy Prefontaine, CEC®, executive chef, The Fort Worth Club, Fort Worth, Texas; ACF national member
ACF Pastry Chef of the Year, sponsored by Plugrá® European-Style Butter
Stephan Schubert, executive pastry chef, River City Casino & Hotel, St. Louis; Chefs de Cuisine Association of St. Louis Inc.
ACF Chef Educator of the Year
Jean Yves Vendeville, CEPC®, department chair/instructor, Savannah Technical College, Savannah, Georgia; ACF Chefs of the Low Country
ACF Student Chef of the Year, sponsored by Custom Culinary, Inc.
Chase Grove, chef de partie, The Grey Plume, Omaha, Nebraska; student, The Institute for the Culinary Arts at Metropolitan Community College, Omaha; ACF Professional Chefs and Culinarians of the Heartland
Dr. L.J. Minor Chef Professionalism Award, sponsored by MINOR’S®
Michael Garbin, CEC®, AAC®, executive chef, Union League Club of Chicago, Chicago; ACF Windy City Professional Culinarians Inc.
Hermann G. Rusch Chef’s Achievement Award
Hartmut Handke, CMC®, AAC®, chef/owner, Culinary Fast-Trac, Dublin, Ohio; ACF Columbus Chapter
ACF Student Team National Championship, sponsored by R.L. Schreiber, Inc.
ACF Greater Kansas City Chefs Association; Johnson County Community College, Overland Park, Kansas; Raquel Kramer, Katie O’Connor, Matt Phillips, Kathryn Ratzlaff and Jessica Seely; Felix Sturmer, coach
Baron H. Galand Culinary Knowledge Bowl, sponsored by American Technical Publishers and US Foods
Guilford Technical Community College, Jamestown, North Carolina; ACF North Carolina Chapter; Aisha Boston, Jessica Bower, Alexia D’Egidio and Michael Nasrallah; Linda Beitz and Patrick Sanecki, CHE, coaches
ACF Industry Partnership Award
Plugrá® European-Style Butter; Kansas City, Missouri
ACF National Chapter of the Year
ACF Monterey Bay Chapter; Monterey, California
ACF Region of the Year
ACF Western Region
ACF Culinary Community Spirit Award
Michigan Chefs de Cuisine Association; Detroit
ACF World of Thanks Award
ACF Greater Kansas City Chefs Association; Kansas City, Missouri
ACF President’s Medallion Recipients
- L. Edwin Brown, HAAC, HHOF, ACF ambassador, St. Augustine, Florida; ACF Pittsburgh Chapter
- Russell Campbell, CEC®, army sustainment command food advisor, U.S. Army, Rock Island Arsenal, Illinois; Old Dominion ACF Chapter
- Charles Carroll, CEC®, AAC®, executive chef, River Oaks Country Club, Houston; ACF Professional Chefs Association of Houston
- Biagio Dente, CEC®, AAC®, HOF, retired, Pittston, Pennsylvania; ACF Professional Chefs of Northeast Pennsylvania
- Jim Douglas, CEC®, CCE®, AAC®, HOF, retired, Marysville, Washington; ACF Washington State Chefs Association
- Roger Kelly, CEC®, AAC®, instructor, The Art Institute of Philadelphia, Philadelphia; ACF Philadelphia Delaware Valley Chefs Association
- Victor Kendlehart, CC®, restaurants supervisor, Interstate Hotels & Resorts, Bowling Green, Florida; ACF national member
- Adam Hagar, CSC®, CPC®, instructor assistant, Columbus State Community College, Columbus, Ohio; ACF Columbus Chapter
- Harry Hoffstadt, CEC®, AAC®, HOF, retired, Tinley Park, Illinois; ACF Chicago Chefs of Cuisine Inc.
- Paul O’Toole, CEC®, AAC®, executive chef, The Cliffs at Glassy, Landrum, South Carolina; ACF Philadelphia Delaware Valley Chefs Association
- Lisa Ramsey, CEC®, CEPC®, chef instructor, The Art Institute of Tennessee–Nashville, Nashville, Tennessee; ACF Middle Tennessee Chapter
- Tene Shake, owner, Tene Shake Signature Restaurants, Monterey, California; ACF Monterey Bay Chapter
- The Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, New York
Cutting Edge Award Recipients
- Bob Brassard Jr., CEC®, culinary educator, Broadmoor Technical Center–Shawnee Mission School District, Overland Park, Kansas; ACF Greater Kansas City Chefs Association
- Mike Allen Chrostowski, culinary-arts instructor, Olathe Public Schools Culinary Arts Program, Olathe, Kansas; ACF Greater Kansas City Chefs Association
- Virgil Emmert, CEC®, CCA®, executive chef, Oak Ridge Hotel & Conference Center, Chaska, Minnesota; ACF Minneapolis Chefs Chapter
- Dwight Ferguson, vice president business development, Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Wisconsin, Inc., Milwaukee, Wisconsin; ACF Windy City Professional Culinarians Inc.
- Michael Kester, CEC®, CCA®, AAC®, Southeast area training manager, Sodexo, Columbia, South Carolina; ACF Midlands Chapter
- Ray McCue, CEC®, assistant professor, Johnson & Wales University, Providence, Rhode Island; ACF Rhode Island Chapter
- Brandon Parry, CEC®, executive chef, United States Navy, Honolulu; ACF Honolulu Chapter
- Michael Scott, CEC®, AAC®, executive chef, Northwood Club, Dallas; Texas Chefs Association
- Robert White, CEC®, CCA®, AAC®, national director of culinary operations, The Goodman Group, Chaska, Minnesota; ACF Minneapolis Chefs Chapter
Achievement of Excellence Awards
- American Bounty Restaurant, The Culinary Institute of America; Hyde Park, New York
- Café Reconcile; New Orleans
- Capers; Little Rock, Arkansas
- Cyrano’s Farm Kitchen; Chicago
- David’s 388; South Portland, Maine
- Mamma Maria’s Pizzeria & Ristorante; Bensenville, Illinois
- Monastero’s Ristorante & Banquets; Chicago
- M.Y. China; San Francisco
- Myers Park Country Club; Charlotte, North Carolina
- Old Fisherman’s Grotto; Monterey, California
- Pizzalley’s Chianti Room; St. Augustine, Florida
- Quartino Ristorante & Wine Bar; Chicago
- Remington Tavern and Seafood Exchange; North Tonawanda, New York
- R’evolution; New Orleans
- Ristorante Caterina de’ Medici & Al Forno Trattoria, The Culinary Institute of America; Hyde Park, New York
- Siro Urban Italian Kitchen; Orlando, Florida
- The Bocuse Restaurant, The Culinary Institute of America; Hyde Park, New York
- The Gatesworth; St. Louis
- The Sardine Factory; Monterey, California
- The Signature Room at the 95th; Chicago
American Academy of Chefs® (AAC®) Chair’s Medal
Mark Wright, CEC®, AAC®, department chair of hospitality management, Erie Community College, Buffalo, New York; ACF of Greater Buffalo New York
Lawrence A. Conti, CEC®, AAC®, HOF, Chair’s Achievement Award
Salvatore Campagna, CEC®, HAAC, retired, San Carlos, California; ACF San Francisco Chapter
Joseph Amendola Award
Gale O’Malley, CEPC®, AAC®, pastry chef instructor, Kapiʻolani Community College, Honolulu; ACF Honolulu Chapter
Chef Good Taste Award
Scott Gilbert, CEC®, AAC®, director of culinary, Custom Culinary, Inc., Lombard, Illinois; ACF Windy City Professional Culinarians Inc.
Lt. General John D. McLaughlin Award
Russell Campbell, CEC®, army sustainment command food advisor, U.S. Army, Rock Island Arsenal, Illinois; Old Dominion ACF Chapter
Sharing Culinary Traditions Award
Thomas Recinella, CEC®, AAC®, program director of culinary and beverage management, The Culinary Institute of Michigan of Port Huron, Port Huron, Michigan; ACF Michigan Chefs de Cuisine Association
AAC Celebrated Chef
Rick Moonen, chef/owner, rm seafood, Las Vegas
AAC Culinary Hall of Fame™
- Harry Brockwell, CEC®, AAC®, HOF, corporate consulting chef, Westlake Village, California; Ventura Chefs Association
- Fawzi Ottman, CEC®, AAC®, HOF, executive chef, Odyssey Country Club, Tinley Park, Illinois; ACF Chicago Chefs of Cuisine Inc.
- Leopold Schaeli, CMC®, AAC®, HOF, retired, West Bloomfield, Michigan; ACF Michigan Chefs de Cuisine Association
AAC Honorary Culinary Hall of Fame™
Jim Singerling, HAAC, HBOT, HHOF, chief executive officer, Club Managers Association of America, Alexandria, Virginia; ACF Nation’s Capital Chefs Association
- Darrin Aoyama, CEPC®, AAC®, executive pastry chef, River Oaks Country Club, Houston; ACF Professional Chefs Association of Houston
- Mark Brown, CEC®, CCA®, AAC®, executive chef, Oklahoma City Golf & Country Club, Oklahoma City; The Southwest Florida Chapter of the ACF
- Jesse Cobb, CEC®, AAC®, corporate executive chef, Nestlé Professional, Naperville, Illinois; ACF Chicago Chefs of Cuisine Inc.
- Mark Cochran, CEC®, CCA®, CFBE, AAC®, culinary instructor, Culinary Arts Institute of Platt College, Oklahoma City; ACF Culinary Arts Society of Oklahoma
- Claudio Ferrer, CEC®, CCE®, AAC®, corporate chef, Electrolux North, Latin America and the Caribbean, Charlotte, North Carolina; owner/chef, Kiko’s Catering LLC, Naples, Florida; ACF Caxambas Chapter of Naples & Marco Island
- Thomas Hunt, CEC®, AAC®, executive chef, Columbus Culinary Institute–Bradford School, Columbus, Ohio; ACF Columbus Chapter
- Jeffrey Mitchell, CEC®, CCA®, AAC®, executive chef of culinary and nutritional services, St. Joseph’s Hospital Health Center, Syracuse, New York; ACF Syracuse New York Chapter
- M. Glenn Pruden, CEC®, AAC®, assistant director/executive chef, University of Richmond, Richmond, Virginia; ACF Virginia Chefs Association
- Michael Rigberg, CEC®, CCA®, AAC®, chef instructor/executive chef, Land O’Lakes High School–Pasco Country School District, Land O’Lakes, Florida; ACF Tampa Bay Culinary Association, Inc.
- Paul Santaularia, CEC®, CCE®, AAC®, culinary-arts instructor, Northland Career Center, Platte City, Missouri; ACF Greater Kansas City Chefs Association
- Fred Wright, CEC®, AAC®, chef/instructor, Washoe County School District, Reno, Nevada; ACF High Sierra Chefs Association
AAC Honorary Fellows
- Elizabeth Bergin, HAAC, vice president/creative director, Michel Bouit International Inc., Chicago; and owner/designer, Elizabeth Bergin Enterprises, Inc., Chicago; ACF Chicago Chefs of Cuisine Inc.
- Mark Eggerding, HAAC, vice president of product sales and culinary education, US Foods, Rosemont, Illinois
- Todd Hatoff, HAAC, president, Allen Brothers, Chicago
- Addiemae Rolle-Farrington, HAAC, chef lecturer, The College of the Bahamas, Nassau, Bahamas; Bahamas Culinary Association
- Felix Sturmer, HAAC, culinary instructor, Johnson County Community College, Overland Park, Kansas; ACF Greater Kansas City Chefs Association
ACF Culinary Youth Team USA
- Megan Bamford, pastry cook, The Greenbrier, White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia
- Kristyn Chatlosh, student, Joliet Junior College, Joliet, Illinois; ACF Louis Joliet Chapter
- Jordan Gardiner, demi chef, Myers Park Country Club, Charlotte, North Carolina; ACF North Carolina Chapter
- Tracy Morris, pastry cook, Chevy Chase Club, Chevy Chase, Maryland; ACF Rhode Island Chapter
- Jesus Olmedo, line cook, Somerset Club, Boston; ACF Epicurean Club of Boston
- Josh Page, line cook, Grandfather Golf & Country Club, Linville, North Carolina; ACF North Carolina Chapter
- Lydia Ross, CC, student, Central Piedmont Community College, Charlotte, North Carolina; ACF North Carolina Chapter
- Trae Shriner, student ambassador, Oregon Coast Culinary Institute, Coos Bay, Oregon; and line cook, Bandon Dunes Golf Resort, Bandon, Oregon; ACF Bay Area Chefs Association of Oregon