Childhood Nutrition Day
Childhood Nutrition Day, celebrated on or around Oct. 16, focuses on the need for education about childhood hunger, proper nutrition and obesity issues. Since the campaign’s launch in 1995, hundreds of chefs across the nation have participated in events within their local communities to feed hungry children, and foster and promote awareness of proper nutrition.
Chef & Child has partnered with Vitamix® to help inspire chefs to participate in Childhood Nutrition Day. They have pledged to donated blenders to the first 50 chefs who register and follow through on their commitments to host events.
- ACF chefs and chapters promote awareness of proper nutrition to families and kids of all ages.
- Healthy cooking demonstration and tasting
- Nutritious cooking classes
- Outreach event with hands-on activity stations
- Nutrition information booth
- Gala dinner and silent auction to benefit Chef & Child programs
- Walk for childhood nutrition
- Host a food drive
- Any activity that supports the mission of Chef & Child
- Local schools (many schools host fall festivals during this month)
- Community centers
- After-school programs
- Neighborhood and city festivals
- Local food banks
- Any location willing to support the mission of Chef & Child
- During the month of October, on, or around, Oct. 16.
- Form a taskforce and assign duties:
- securing site and resources
- obtaining food
- developing timeline
- develop promotional material and press release
- setting up and breakdown event
- presenting demo/activities
- taking photos and updating social media
- Determine activity, location and date. Visit the ACF Chef & Child Programs page for activity programs and tools.
- Schedule meeting with contact at location to discuss and coordinate event.
- Develop budget and shopping list.
- Ask produce and product purveyors for donations.
- Invite chapter members to support event as volunteers.
- Market and promote event to community. Register your event and download templates.
- Alert the media through a press release.
- Hand out flyers and postcards in community/local schools.
- Post upcoming event on social media outlets.
- Purchase Chef & Child merchandise for volunteers, supporters, and participants from the ACF e-Store.
- Print handouts and put together a take-home packet for families.
- Post-event: send thank you letters to all supporters.
- Post-event: send high resolution photo and brief summary of success to ACF national office. Photos of children interacting with chefs are desired.