Red Quinoa/Farro Vegetarian Sliders
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Jason Ziobrowski
The National Culinary Review, October 2009
4 1/2 cups vegetable stock, divided
8 oz. dry Indian Harvest Red Ouinoa
8 oz. dry Indian Harvest Farro
14 oz. firm tofu
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 T. cumin
3 T. chili powder
Panko breadcrumbs, as needed
Salt and pepper, to taste
Olive oil, as needed
22 mini burger buns, English muffins or split dinner rolls
22 tomato slices
Red onion, julienned, as needed
Sprouts, as needed
1) In a pot, bring 2 cups vegetable stock to boil. Rinse red quinoa. Add to boiling stock; simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
2) In separate pot, bring 2 cups stock to a boil; simmer farro, covered, for 25-30 minutes.
3) Purée 1 cup cooked farro just enough to leave a little consistency. Purée tofu (will yield 2 cups when whipped); add to pureed farro. In bowl, combine pureed farro/tofu, remaining cooked farro, cooked red quinoa, remaining vegetable stock, garlic, cilantro, cumin and chili powder. Mix well. (If mixture is too wet, add just enough panko breadcrumbs to enhance binding.) Season with salt and pepper.
4) Portion out burger mix into 3 oz. patties. Lightly coat with panko breadcrumbs. Pan—sear in olive oil for 3 minutes per side.
5) To serve: On each bottom half of mini burger bun, English muffin or split dinner roll, layer tomato, red onion and sprouts. Top with seared quinoa/farro patty. Brush each top half of bun with condiment of choice.
22 (3-oz.) servings
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.