Smoked Turkey Torta Rustica
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Kevin Cronin
The National Culinary Review, October 2009
4 lbs. brioche dough, divided
2 lbs. provolone, sliced, divided
1 1/2 lbs. peppered or smoked turkey breast. cubed
1 1/2 lbs. artichoke hearts, quartered (well-drained)
2 lbs. ricotta
2 oz. fresh garlic, chopped
1 T. dried basil
1 T. dried oregano
1 t. salt
1 t. freshly grated nutmeg
1 lb. spinach leaves, sautéed, well-drained
2 oz. pine nuts. toasted
1 lb. red peppers, grilled, seeded, halved
Egg wash, as needed
1) Spray 12-inch springform pan with nonstick pan coating.
2) On floured surface, roll out 3 lbs. brioche dough 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch thick. Line pan with dough, allowing 1 inch to hang over sides: trim excess.
3) Layer 1/2 lb. sliced provolone atop brioche dough. Add turkey cubes, evenly covering cheese.
4) In separate bowl. combine artichoke. ricotta. garlic. basil. oregano, salt and nutmeg. Cover turkey with ricotta mixture. Layer with 1/2 lb. provolone; press down firmly to remove air pockets.
5) Strain spinach; spread over provolone. Sprinkle spinach with pine nuts. Layer with 1/2 lb. provolone. Place pepper halves over provolone; cover with remaining provolone.
6) Roll out remaining brioche dough 1/4-inch to l/2-inch thick; cover torta.
7) Trim excess dough; pinch and roll top dough with overhanging bottom dough to seal torta. Brush top with egg wash. 8) Put in preheated 375"F oven for 15 minutes.
Cover with foil; bake 45-50 minutes.
9) Cool completely. For clean-edged slices. slice cold and reheat. Garnish with fresh herbs.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.