Vegetarian Cassoulet with Pastry Puff
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Alex Reznik
The National Culinary Review, October 2009
4 cups flageolet beans
1 1/2 gallons vegetable stock
1 sachet (1 clove garlic, 3 sprigs rosemary, 3 sprigs thyme, 2 sprigs sage, 1/4 cup whole peppercorns, 6 bay leaves)
Extra—virgin olive oil, as needed for braising
2 red onions, 1/2-inch dice
2 yellow onions, 1/2-inch dice
8 carrots, 1/2-inch dice
4 celery stalks, 1/2-inch dice
1 cup celeriac, 1/2-inch dice
1/2 cup pequillo pepper
1 cup diced turnip
1 cup Jerusalem artichoke
1/2 cup diced porcini mushrooms
1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms
1/2 cup oyster mushrooms
1 cup Chardonnay
1 cup diced tomatoes
3 cups vegetable stock
Pinch chopped parsley
1 sachet (1 clove garlic, 4 stems rosemary, 4 stems thyme, 2 stems sage, 1/4 cup whole peppercorn)
1 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup crème fraîche
2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
1) in large colander, wash and rinse beans, checking for stones. Put beans in large bowl; cover with water. Soak overnight.
2) Drain. Bring vegetable stock to boil; add beans. Lower heat to a simmer. Add first sachet (contains bay leaves); cook beans until mostly cooked through. Remove sachet; cool. Reserve for service.
3) in large heavy braising pan, warm extra-virgin olive oil. Add onion, carrot, celery, celeriac, pequillo pepper, turnip and artichoke; sauté until slightly translucent. Add mushrooms; stir for 5 minutes (vegetables should start to turn a little brown). Deglaze with Chardonnay; reduce by half. Add tomatoes, vegetable stock, chopped parsley and remaining sachet. Bring to a simmer; simmer at least 1 hour. Remove sachet. (Most liquid will be absorbed and/or evaporated.) Cool, Reserve for service.
4) Cut butter into flour. Stir in crème fraîche. Turn onto floured board; knead until ball forms. Wrap in airtight plastic; store overnight in walk-in cooler.
5) Remove dough from cooler; cut into 1/8-lb. portions. Pound dough with heavy rolling pin; roll into 6-inch rounds. Place rounds on sheet pans lined with parchment paper; baste with olive oil. Bake in 350°F preheated oven until golden. Garnish with fresh parsley.
6) To serve, per order: Warm 6 oz. beans in vegetable stock. Add 4 oz. vegetable mixture; stir. When warmed through, mound cassoulet in bowl. Top with pastry puff. Serve immediately.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.