Fresh Mozzarella and Tomato Salad with Balsamic Pearls, Truffle Dust and Parmesan Air
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Submitted by Thomas J. Macrina, CEC CCA AAC HOF HBOT
Credit: Thomas Macrina, CEC, CCA, AAC, food fanatic/product specialist/executive chef at US Foods, Bridgeport, N.J.
Small teardrop tomatoes, cut in half
Boccioni mozzarella, cut in thin slices
Baby frizze lettuce, cut chiffonade
Balsamic Pearls (recipe follows)
Truffle Dust (recipe follows)
Parmesan Air (recipe follows)
2/3 cup Balsamic Vinegar
2g Agar Agar
3 cup Olive oil
Truffle Oil, as needed
Tapioca Maltodextrin, as needed
Pinch of salt
18 oz grated parmesan
16 oz water
9 oz parmesan solution
1.3 g lecithin
Method: Make the pearls, dust and air. Then mix the tomatoes, mozzarella and lettuce and fill a small clear plastic glass 3/4 of the way full. Top with a few balsamic pearls and truffle dust. Finish with a demi spoon of the parmesan air. Serve.
1. Place olive oil in large glass and put in freezer for at least 1 hour.
2. Weight out other ingredients.
3. In small sauce pot place balsamic vinegar and agar agar.
4. On medium flame stir mixture until it comes to a boil.
5. Remove from pot and place in another container.
6. Remove olive oil from freezer.
7. Using a dropper or syringe drop the vinegar mixture into the olive oil. Try to make the drops the same size.
8. Hold in refrigerator until needed.
Method: Place tapioca maltodextrin in Robot coupe. Turn on and drizzle oil into mixture until a powder forms. Season with salt.
Method: Start by mixing the grated parmesan with the water and heat to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Steep for 30 minutes and strain through a fine strainer. Then add the lecithin to the strained parmesan solution. Put the solution in a shallow container that will allow you to collect the air when using an immersion blender on the surface of the liquid. Let the formed air rest for one minute and then collect with a spoon.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.