German Potato Salad
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Chef & Child Ingredient of the Month, August 2014
5 unpeeled red-skinned potatoes (about 2 pounds)
1 medium-sized onion, chopped
4 slices bacon or turkey bacon, diced
¼ cup sugar or equivalent sugar substitute
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
? teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 cup water
¼ cup white vinegar
1 large egg
¼ cup fresh or bottled lemon juice
¼ cup chopped fresh chives
1. Boil the potatoes in a large saucepan for about 20 minutes or until tender (test with a fork). Drain and cool slightly. Slice the potatoes and place in a large serving bowl with the chopped onion and set aside.
2. Cook the bacon in a medium-sized skillet until crisp. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat.
3. Add the sugar, flour, salt, and pepper to the bacon fat in the skillet; stir to combine.
4. Combine the water, vinegar, egg, and lemon juice in a small bowl; whisk with a fork to blend. Add to the bacon fat mixture in the skillet. Whisk together and cook over medium heat until the mixture starts to boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Pour the cooked bacon fat mixture over the potatoes and onions and toss gently. Garnish with chives and serve.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.