You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Alain De Coster, lead chef instructor, International Culinary Center, New York
Sizzle, Fall 2014
1 lb. dried great northern white beans
4 oz. pork belly meat, cut into 1½-inch squares
4 oz. smoked slab bacon, cut into 1½-inch squares
1 medium size carrot, peeled, cut into large pieces
1 medium white onion, peeled, cut into large pieces
6 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
1 thyme sprig
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Soak beans in cold water over night.
2. Remove beans from water; rinse.
3. Place smoked bacon in small stock pot over medium-high heat to render fat. When bacon is golden brown, remove from pot; reserve.
4. In same pot, color pork belly until golden brown on all sides.
5. Add carrot, onion, garlic, cloves and herbs.
6. Return beans to pot. Add enough water to cover by about 1 inch.
7. Bring ingredients to a boil, then to a simmer. Cook until fork tender.
8. When done, remove carrots, onions, thyme, bay leaf and cloves. Do not discard cooking liquid as it will be needed for the cassoulet. Puree a small portion of beans for later use in cassoulet.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.