You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Submitted by William D. Thornton, CEC, CCE
Credit: Chef Will Thornton CCE,CEC
From the Chef
“This food is the stuff of memeories. Eating this dish makes me dream of the flavors from the kitchens of my mother and grandmother. Try this dish once and you will carry the flavors as a memory for life.”
5 three pound chickens cut up
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 ounces olive oil
8 poblano chilis , destemmed and deseeded (discard seeds)
4 Guajillo chilis, destemmed and deseeded (discard seeds)
6 chipotle chilis, destemmed and deseeded (discard seeds)
6 ancho chilis, destemmed and deseeded (place seeds in a small bowl and reserve)
2 oz sesame seeds
1 ounce cumin seeds
1 ounce coriander seeds
1 bay leaf
1 ounce orange zest
4 oz peanuts (unsalted)
2 oz almonds
2 t peppercorns
2 medium onion, large dice
10 cloves garlic, smashed
1 bolillo or 2 slices white bread
2 corn tortilla
11\2 lb tomato (cut into quarters)
2 stick cinnamon
2 oz raisins
18 ounces Mexican chocolate
3/4 c olive oil
4ounces chicken stock
2 tablespoon salt
1\2 c sugar
2/12 quarts water
1. Prep all chilis
2. In a large stock pot add 1\3 cup veggie oil and heat well. Add cut up chicken and sear till skin is crisp. Remove chicken for m pot and place chicken on sheet pan and roast chicken in a 350 degree oven til done.
3 .In a large stock pot place reserved ancho chili seeds, sesame seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, orange zest, peanuts, almonds and peppercorns and toast over medium heat. Remove from heat and set aside. In this same pan add tomatoes, cinnamon sticks, and raisins roast for two minutes stirring frequently. Remove ingredients and set aside.
4. Using the same stock pot as in steps 1 ,2 and 3, add 2 ounces olive oil and add all the chilies and roast over medium heat till charred. Remove chilis and set aside. In the same pan add onion and garlic and sauté for two minutes. Deglaze pan with chicken 4 ounces broth.
4. Leave the broth in the pot and add bay leaf and all ingredients form steps 1, 2,3 and 4 to stock pot.
5. Add 21/2 quarts water and stir to mix well
5. Add the bread and water to the stock pot
6. Add chocolate, salt and olive oil to pot
7. Allow all ingredients to simmer uncovered until thick, about 15-20 minutes
8. Use immersion blender or Vitamix mixer to puree mole thoroughly till the sauce is nappe (coats the back of a spoon dipped in it.)
9. Place all pieces of roasted chicken in stock pot and simmer an additional 15 minutes
10. Serve hot and garnish with toasted sesame seeds or smoked pepeitas
22 4oz. servings
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.