Miraval Multigrain Nutrition Bar
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Kim Macy, Executive Pastry Chef, Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, Tucson, Arizona; from Mindful Eating Miraval (Hay House, 2012)
The National Culinary Review, November/December 2014
2 cups rolled oats
¼ cup sesame seeds
2 T. almonds, chopped
1 T. cashews, chopped
1 T. flaxseed meal, optional
½ cup water
½ cup 7-grain cereal
¾ cup creamy organic peanut butter
½ cup honey
1 cup mixed dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, cherries, apricots), cut in ½-inch pieces if large
Pinch kosher salt
1) Lightly grease 8 × 8-inch baking sheet or cake pan with vegetable cooking spray; set aside.
2) Spread oats, seeds, nuts and flaxseed meal on sheet pan; bake at 350ºF until light golden-brown and fragrant, 10-12 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.
3) In medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Remove from heat; add 7-grain cereal. Set aside until water is absorbed, about 2 minutes. Add peanut butter and honey. Stir well. Place over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and glossy and pulls away from sides of pan, 1½-2 minutes.
4) Spoon dried fruit and salt into hot peanut butter mixture; immediately pour into bowl with grains. With large rubber spatula, work peanut butter/fruit mixture into grains until evenly coated. Mixture will become sticky; it may be necessary to work mixture with hands.
5) Transfer mixture to prepared pan, working it out to edges with fingers, pressing to a uniform ½-inch thickness. Refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.
6) Cut cooled cake into bars measuring 1½ × 1¼ inches. Serve immediately or wrap individually in plastic wrap. (Bars will keep at room temperature for up to two days; refrigerated up to four days.)
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.