Strawberry Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Spork Foods, Los Angeles
The National Culinary Review, November/December 2014
¾ cup spelt flour
¼ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 t. nonaluminum baking powder
¾ t. sea salt, divided
¾ t. ground cinnamon, divided
¼ t. ground allspice
2 T. maple syrup
1½ t. vanilla extract, divided
1 t. almond extract
1-1/3 cups unsweetened almond milk or soymilk
Grated zest of 1 lemon
2 T. neutral-tasting high-heat oil + additional for coating pan
1 container GO Veggie! Dairy Free Classic Plain Cream Cheese Alternative
4-5 strawberries, finely chopped
2 T. brown rice syrup
Dash fresh lemon juice
8-10 strawberries, sliced
1 large spelt boule (round loaf) or French bread
1) In medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, ½ t. sea salt, ½ t. cinnamon and allspice. Add maple syrup, 1 t. vanilla extract, almond extract, almond milk or soymilk, lemon zest and 2 T. oil. Whisk until smooth (do not over-mix).
2) In large bowl, combine cream cheese alternative and finely chopped strawberries. Add brown rice syrup, ¼ t. cinnamon, ¼ t. sea salt, ½ t. vanilla extract and lemon juice; whisk with fork to combine.
3) Put sliced strawberries in separate bowl.
4) Slice boule or loaf into 2-inch-thick slices. Cut into each slice horizontally to form pocket without cutting all the way through.
5) Preheat griddle or pan to medium-high. Grease with oil.
6) Stuff each bread slice with strawberry cream cheese and a few sliced strawberries. Coat each slice in batter; put on griddle or hot pan. Cook until bottom is slightly golden and edges look dry, 2-3 minutes. Flip; cook 2-3 minutes, or until golden.
7) Let French toast cool 3-5 minutes before cutting. Slice in half with diagonal cut for best presentation.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.