Pear Quinoa Salad
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Nanette Taho, Dietetic Technician Student, Paradise Valley Community College, Phoenix
The National Culinary Review, October 2013
3¼ lbs. quinoa
1 #10 can Pacific Northwest Diced Pears
1½ lbs. dried cranberries
3-1/8 quarts liquid (pear juice/water)
6¼ T. olive oil
1 lb. yellow onions, diced
5 garlic cloves, minced
1½ T. vegetable base
1 T. kosher salt
1 T. black pepper
18 oz. romaine lettuce, rinsed, chopped
1½ lbs. toasted, chopped walnuts
2/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
8 oz. crumbled feta cheese
1. Rinse quinoa well under cold running water; drain.
2. Drain pears, reserving juice. Measure out 1½ cups liquid; add dried cranberries to plump. Set aside. Pastas and grains take the stage in the hands of creative chefs.
3. Pour remaining pear juice into liquid measure; add enough water to reach 31/8 quarts. Set aside.
4. In 5-quart pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook until translucent. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Add quinoa; toast grains until fragrant and slightly browned. Stir in reserved liquid and vegetable base; stir well. Add salt and pepper. Reduce heat to slow simmer; cover. Once all liquid is absorbed, remove quinoa from heat. Cool completely.
5. Drain cranberries. Dice pears.
6. Gently stir romaine, walnuts, cranberries, pears, vinegar and feta cheese into quinoa. Toss to coat evenly. Chill until serving time. (Temperature should be no greater than 41ºF at service.)
35-40 (5 oz.) servings
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.