Mushroom Barley Soup
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Chef & Child Ingredient of the Month, March 2015
From the Chef
“Substitute brown or wild rice for the barley.
“Add ¼ cup fresh or frozen corn kernels, chopped tomatoes, or baby spinach 10 minutes before you're finished cooking.”
1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, scrubbed or peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme (depending on how much you like thyme)
1 pound white, cremini, or button mushrooms, sliced
½ cup pearl barley
10 cups low-sodium beef, chicken or vegetable broth
1 lemon, quartered
1. Put the pot on the stove and turn the heat to medium. When it is hot, carefully add the oil.
2. Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and thyme and cook until tender, 10–15 minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms and barley and stir well.
4. Add the broth, raise the heat to high and bring to a boil. As soon as the soup boils, turn the heat down to low and cook, partially covered, for 2–2 ½ hours, stirring frequently.
5. Now taste the soup. Does it need anything to boost the flavor? More thyme? A squeeze of lemon juice? A pinch of salt or a grinding of black pepper? Add whatever you think it needs, then serve right away or transfer to a container, cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.