Savoury Stuffed Toast with Gruyere, Sundried Tomatoes & Lentils
You must log in to upload a photo.
(5.0/5 [1 rating]) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Courtesy of Canadian Lentils
4 slices of ham
¾ cup (175 mL) cooked French green lentils
1 Tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh basil
1 Tbsp (15 mL) minced sundried tomatoes, packed in oil
¾ cup (175 mL) finely grated Gruyere cheese
salt and ground black pepper, to taste
8 slices of sourdough bread (medium thickness)
5 whole medium eggs
dash salt and ground black pepper
1 Tbsp (15mL) unsalted butter
maple syrup, for drizzling (optional)
chopped fresh basil, for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. Heat a large sauté pan and brown the ham slices on both sides. Remove from the stove and reserve.
3. Mix the cooked lentils, basil, and sundried tomatoes together in a medium bowl. Toss in the grated Gruyere cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Create an assembly line with four slices of bread. Layer a slice of ham on each piece of bread and then distribute the prepared lentil filling on top. Gently press the filling down, making sure it stays within the confines of the crust. Take the other four bread slices and place them on top of each of the prepared slices. Press together firmly.
5. Whisk the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Reheat the large sauté pan on a medium heat and melt the butter. Carefully dip each side of the sandwich into the egg mixture, lightly coating the outside. Place in the sauté pan immediately and repeat until the pan is full. Cook until golden on both sides, approximately 3 minutes per side, watching to make sure they do not become too dark. Place the pan in the oven to heat the stuffed toast until cheese has melted, about 3-5 minutes. If the sauté pan is not oven proof or if the butter is beginning to smoke, use a parchment lined baking tray.
6. Once ready, remove from the pan, slice in half, and if desired, drizzle maple syrup on each and garnish with fresh chopped basil. Serve immediately.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.