Ginger Ricotta Naan Toasts with Balsamic Figs & Lentils
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Courtesy of Canadian Lentils
From the Chef
“Can't find naan bread? You can substitute it with pita bread or crackers.”
2 naan flatbreads
1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
salt and ground black pepper, as needed for sprinkling
1 cup (250 mL) baby arugula
Figs & Lentils
¾ cup (175 mL) dried figs, hard stems removed
1 Tbsp (15 mL) unsalted butter
3 Tbsp (45 mL) minced shallots or red onion
¼ tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp (5 mL) chopped fresh thyme
¼ cup (60 mL) balsamic vinegar
¾ cup (175 mL) cooked green lentils
¾ cup (175 mL) ricotta cheese
1 tsp (5 mL) chopped fresh thyme plus more for garnish
1 tsp (5 mL) grated fresh ginger
salt, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. Lightly brush the naan flatbreads with canola oil and season with salt and pepper. Cut each naan into 8 pieces. Place the pieces onto a tray and bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until the pieces are lightly toasted. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack and reserve.
3. Bring 2 cups (500 mL) of water to a boil. Pour over the dried figs and allow them to soften for 5 minutes. Drain the water completely and chop the
softened figs into small pieces and set aside.
4. Melt the butter in a medium pan, add the shallots and sauté until soft. Add the chopped figs, pepper, and thyme. Sauté until lightly golden, then deglaze with balsamic vinegar and simmer until reduced. Add the cooked lentils and heat through.
5. Combine the ricotta cheese in a small bowl with thyme and ginger, then season with salt.
6. Assemble: lay a dollop of the ricotta mixture on top of each piece of naan, spreading the mixture out so that it nearly touches the edges. Lay a few leaves of arugula on top of the ricotta. Add a spoonful of the lentil and fig mixture and garnish each piece with fresh thyme leaves. Serve immediately.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.