Blue Crab and Tune Lettuce Roll Salad
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Antonio Marquez, chef/owner, La Zaranda Modern Kitchen & Tequila, Dallas, and chef/co-owner, five restaurants, Monterrey, Mexico
The National Culinary Review, July/August 2015
3 oz. fresh tuna, fine diced
3 oz. premium blue crabmeat, shredded
1 t. shredded ginger
5 T. lime juice, divided
1 T. + 1 cup soy sauce, divided
1 T. fine diced red onion
1 t. fine diced serrano pepper
1 T. fine chopped cilantro
2 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
8 large romaine lettuce leaves, blanched
4 T. fresh cream
Pinch each salt and black pepper
4 T. honey
2 T. finely chopped salted peanuts
2 T. beet sprouts
2 T. julienned serrano pepper
2 T. red onion strips
1) Place tuna in mixing bowl; add crabmeat, ginger, 3 T. lime juice, 1 T. soy sauce, diced red onion, diced serrano pepper, cilantro and 1 T. olive oil. Refrigerate, covered, for 15 minutes.
2) In medium pan, boil water with 1 T. of salt. Reduce heat; add lettuce leaves to blanch for 1 minute. Gently remove leaves to ice water to cool quickly. Drain leaves; reserve.
3) Peel and deseed avocado. In mixer or bowl, add remaining 2 T. lime juice, cream, salt and pepper; mix or blend to soft cream. Check seasoning; adjust. Cover with plastic wrap; reserve.
4) In small saucepan, mix remaining 1 cup soy sauce and honey. Over medium heat, reduce by half, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat; cool.
5) Cut 4 (8x8-inch) sheets plastic wrap. Remove hard white part from blanched lettuce leaves. Place 2 leaves on each sheet. On top, at center, put a quarter of crab/tuna mixture. Close lettuce over top; roll to form long, firm "sushi roll." Refrigerate 30 minutes.
6) Remove rolls from refrigerator. Cut each into 4 or 5 segments (discard plastic wrap). To plate, place avocado cream in center as base; place rolls on top. Sprinkle chopped sauteed peanuts on top of each roll. With spoon, spread soy/honey reduction on top of rolls and over center of plate. Sprinkle with olive oil drops. Place beet sprouts, julienned serrano pepper and red onion strips on top.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.