Blue Crab and Caviar Nachos
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Danny Trace, Executive Chef, Brennan's of Houston, Houston
The National Culinary Review, September 2015
4 ears yellow corn (in husk)
1 T. vegetable oil
1 leek (white portion only), chopped
¼ cup finely diced sweet onion
2 cups milk
½ cup heavy whipping cream
5 oz. Saint André cheese
1 lime, juiced
1 lb. jumbo lump crabmeat
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
½ t. cayenne pepper
1qt. cottonseed oil
15 corn tortillas (cut in quarters)
1 avocado, diced
2 T. Petrossian caviar
1 t. minced chives
1) Preheat oven to 400ºF. Roast corn for 35-40 minutes. Cool. Shuck corn. Remove kernels; set aside (reserve cobs).
2) In heavy-bottomed saucepot, heat vegetable oil on medium-high; saute half the corn kernels (reserve rest), leek and onion for about 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add milk and cobs to pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer; cook for 20 minutes. Add cream; cook for additional 10 minutes. Remove; discard cobs.
3) On low heat, fold in Saint André cheese; finish with half the lime juice (reserve rest).
4) In food processer, blend sauce until smooth. Strain through fine-mesh strainer; return to clean saucepot. Finish sauce with jumbo lump crabmeat and reserved corn. Season with salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Keep warm.
5) In heavy-bottomed saucepot, heat cottonseed oil to 350ºF. Add tortillas; fry for 3 minutes, or until crispy. Remove to drip tray; season with salt and pepper. Place chips in serving dish; top with sauce. Squeeze remaining lime juice over avocado; season with salt and black pepper. Top nachos with avocado, caviar and chives.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.