Cinnamon-Spiced Carrot Fruit Kugel
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Chef & Child Ingredient of the Month, November 2015
Vegetable oil spray
4 cups shredded carrots
2 medium tart apples, cored and chopped
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
? cup plain whole wheat breadcrumbs or matzoh meal
½ cup dried cherries, cranberries or currants
½ cup chopped, unsalted pistachios, divided
3 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground allspice
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Coat an 8-by-8-inch oven-proof baking dish with vegetable oil spray. Set aside.
3. Combine the carrots, apples, pineapple, breadcrumbs, dried cherries and ¼ cup pistachios in a medium bowl.
4. Beat the egg yolks. Add the vanilla, cinnamon, allspice and salt; blend well. Mix into the carrot-fruit mixture.
5. In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until stiff. Gently fold the egg whites into the carrot-fruit mixture. Pour into baking dish. Top with the remaining ¼ cup pistachios. Cover with foil.
6. Bake for about 50 minutes, until the mixture is firm. Cool.
7. To serve, cut in 8 portions.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.