Grilled Lamb Heart and California Avocado Flatbread
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Gabrielle Quiñónez Denton and Greg Denton, Co-Chefs, Ox, Portland, Oregon
The National Culinary Review, May 2016
12 flatbreads (recipe follows)
Pickled red onions (recipe follows)
Avocado sheets (recipe follows)
1½ lbs. trimmed, cleaned lamb hearts (about 4 oz. per heart)
Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
Kosher salt and ground black pepper, as needed
Smoked sea salt, as needed
2 Fresno chilies, thinly sliced
2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
1½ cups dill sprigs
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for dusting
1½ t. kosher salt
½ t. ground black pepper
1 t. baking powder
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup warm water (110-115°F)
Pickled Red Onions
1 medium red onion, cut in
½ cup lime juice
2 t. kosher salt
1 t. granulated sugar
California Avocado Sheets
6 fresh large (approximately 8 oz. each) California avocados, peeled, halved, pitted
Kosher salt, as needed
4 T. lime juice, divided
1. Preheat grill to medium-high. Cut each lamb heart in half; drizzle with 2 T. olive oil, season each side with kosher salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Working in batches, place flatbreads on grill; cook until edges begin to brown and curl up, 20-30 seconds. Flip over; continue cooking until crispy, 15-20 seconds. Transfer 12 flatbreads to individual serving plates; keep warm.
3. Remove 1 avocado sheet at a time from freezer. Cut open three sides along edge of bag; peel open, invert avocado onto flatbread. Peel bag away from avocado; season avocado with pepper. Keep warm. Repeat with remaining avocado sheets.
4. Put lamb heart portions on grill; cook about 2 minutes. Turn; cook 2 minutes longer for medium-rare. Transfer to cutting board; rest 1-2 minutes before slicing lengthwise as thinly as possible.
5. Place lamb heart slices evenly on top of each avocado-topped flatbread; season lightly with smoked sea salt. Scatter 15-20 slices pickled red onion on top, followed by 8-10 slices Fresno chili, 8-10 dill sprigs and 6-8 cilantro leaves. Drizzle with olive oil; serve immediately.
1. Place flour, salt, black pepper and baking powder in bowl of stand mixer fitted with dough hook attachment. Mix on medium until combined. Add olive oil and water; continue mixing on medium until dough forms ball, about 30 seconds. Stop; scrape down sides of bowl. Continue mixing 1 minute. Portion dough in 1½ oz. pieces; roll each piece into ball, place on lightly floured baking sheet. Cover with clean kitchen towel; rest in refrigerator 30 minutes.
2. Preheat large heavy-bottomed frying pan or griddle over medium-high heat. Remove dough balls from refrigerator; place 1 ball on flat work surface. With rolling pin (and without adding additional flour), flatten into oblong shape, about 5 x 8 inches. Repeat process with 2 more dough balls. Lower heat to medium. Gently peel 1 flatbread off work surface; carefully place in heated pan. Cook about 30 seconds, or until dough starts to bubble and underside has golden-brown spots. Flip over; cook second side 15-25 seconds longer, or until just cooked through.
3. Remove flatbread from pan. Place on half clean kitchen towel; fold over other half to cover. Cook remaining 2 flatbreads; stack on top. Repeat process with remaining dough balls (2-3 at a time). Store cooked flatbreads up to five days in refrigerator.
For pickled red onions:
Put onion slices, lime juice, salt and sugar in gallon bag. Squeeze as much air out as possible; seal. Gently massage bag to help dissolve salt and sugar. Refrigerate at least 12 hours and up to three days.
For California avocado sheets:
Sprinkle each avocado half with salt. Place each piece, flat-side down, in 6 x 8-inch vacuum seal bag. Add 1 t. lime juice to each bag; press gently so avocado flattens to no more than 2 inches from open side of bag. Place bag in vacuum sealer; seal top ½ inch of bag. Repeat with remaining avocado halves. With rolling pin, mash avocado thinly and evenly to edges of bag. Lay bags flat on baking sheet; freeze until solid.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.