Porcini-dusted Seafood Sausage
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Sizzle, Spring 2015
1 egg white
1 ½ oz. heavy cream
1 slice white bread, crust removed
4 oz. white fish fillets or trimmings
2 (U/20) scallops
¼ t. kosher salt
Pinch white pepper
1 T. fennel, chopped
1 T. parsley, chopped
1 ½ cups mushroom liquor
¼ cup fish fumet
2 T. white wine
1 T. minced shallot
1 bunch celery leaves
1 sprig fresh thyme
3 T. dried porcini dust
2 T. clarified butter
Salt and white pepper to taste
Mushroom beurre blanc:
¼ cup poaching liquid
1 T. white wine vinegar
1 small shallot, minced
8 T. unsalted butter, divided
Salt to taste
½ cup assorted microgreens
Olive oil to taste
Fresh lemon juice to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
16 oz. expeller-pressed coconut oil,
or other neutral oil, for frying
½ lb. large button mushrooms, cleaned, julienned
Salt to taste
1 cup cornstarch, divided
1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare a buttered cartouche, set aside. In small bowl, whisk egg white and cream. Press bread into cream mixture to make panade, set aside.
2. In food processor, place fish, scallops, salt, pepper, fennel, parsley and panade; blend smooth. Transfer mixture to plastic wrap.
3. Roll in 2-inch tight log; secure ends with kitchen twine. Refrigerate until firm, about 10 minutes.
4. In medium sautoir, add mushroom liquor, fish fumet, wine, shallot, celery leaves and thyme. Place seafood log in fumet mixture. Cover with cartouche; place pan in oven. Shallow poach 25 minutes.
5. Remove pan from oven; remove sausage from pan. Set aside; cool 10 minutes. Unwrap sausage; slice into 1-inch thick rounds. Lightly dredge cut sides of sausage in porcini dust; set aside.
6. In medium saute pan over medium, heat clarified butter until shimmering. Add sausage rounds. Cook 1 minute, until golden-brown. Gently turn; brown second side; salt and pepper to taste.
7. Remove sausage from pan. Keep warm until ready for service.
For mushroom beurre blanc:
1. Reduce poaching liquid to about ¼ cup.
2. Strain; transfer to small saucepan. Add vinegar and shallot; bring to a boil. Stirring occasionally, reduce to 1 T., about 6 minutes.
3. Strain mixture. Return liquid to pan reduce heat to low; whisk in butter, 1 T. at a time, until mixture is thick. Remove from heat. Keep warm until ready for service.
1. In small bowl, dress greens with olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper right before plating.
For mushroom straws:
1. In small saucepan, heat coconut oil to 350°F. Season mushrooms with salt.
2. Divide cornstarch evenly between two bowls. Dredge seasoned mushrooms in cornstarch, egg and second cornstarch bowl.
3. Lower into hot oil; fry until crisp, about 1 minute. Remove from oil to paper-towel-lined sheet pan; sprinkle with salt.
1. Place 1 T. beurre blanc in center of appetizer plate.
2. Place sausage on top.
3. Top with dressed microgreens and mushroom straws.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.