Blanquette de Veau
You must log in to upload a photo.
(2.0/5) Log in to rate this recipe!
Sizzle, Winter 2015
3 lbs. veal stew meat, cut in 2-inch cubes
5-6 cups cold white veal stock
1 large onion studded with 1 clove
1 large carrot, peeled, quartered
Herb bouquet, in cheesecloth:
- 8 parsley stems (reserve leaves for garnish)
- ½ bay leaf
- ½ t. thyme
- 2 medium celery stalks
Salt, to taste
18-24 white pearl onions
½ cup veal stock
¼ t. salt
1 T. butter
Sauce velouté with mushrooms
4 T. butter
5 T. flour
3¼ cups veal stock
18-24 mushroom caps, sliced
2 T. lemon juice
2 T. cream or stock
Cream and egg yolk enrichment
3 egg yolks
½ cup whipping cream
6 oz. frozen puff pastry, thawed
Egg wash (1 egg yolk, 1 T. water)
1. Place veal in large pot; cover in cold water by 2 inches. Simmer for 2 minutes. Drain veal; wash with cold water to remove scum. Wash out pot. Return veal to pot.
2. Add stock, covering veal about ½ inch. Bring slowly to a simmer; skim, as necessary, for several minutes.
3. Add onion, carrot and herb bouquet; taste, salt lightly, if necessary. Cover partially; simmer for 1¼-1½ hours or until veal is tender when pierced with fork.
4. Pour out into colander set over bowl. Rinse pot. Return meat, removing any bones.
1. While blanquette is simmering, pierce cross in root ends of onions. Simmer for 30-40 minutes in small covered saucepan with veal stock, salt and butter.
2. Arrange cooked onions over veal in pot.
For sauce velouté with mushrooms:
1. In saucepan, melt butter. Add flour; stir over low heat 2 minutes, until foams together.
2. Remove from heat; add veal stock, beating vigorously with wire whip. Return sauce to heat; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for 10 minutes, frequently skim film. Fold in mushroom caps; simmer for additional 10 minutes, skimming.
3. Add salt, pepper and lemon juice, to taste.
4. Pour sauce and mushrooms over veal. Film top of sauce with 2 T. cream or stock to prevent skin forming.
For cream and egg yolk enrichment:
1. In bowl, blend egg yolks and cream with wire whip.
2. Beat in, by spoonfuls, 1 cup hot velouté sauce.
3. Pour mixture into pot with veal; tilt pot to blend rest of sauce with egg yolk mixture. Simmer until thick.
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Roll pastry out thin.
2. Cut out disc with pastry cutter; with pastry cutter, cut away one side to form crescent shape.
3. Grease sheet pan. Place crescents on pan; brush with egg wash. Using tip of knife, score crisscross pattern on each. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Reserve warm for service.
1. In shallow bowl, fill halfway from rim with veal and sauce.
2. Place metal cylinder in middle of plate; fill with rice or potatoes.
3. Garnish with chopped parsley and fleuron.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.