Wilted Spinach Salad with Grilled Onions, Walnuts, Avocado and Apple
You must log in to upload a photo.
(5.0/5) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Mollie Katzen, Chef and Author, Berkeley, California
The National Culinary Review, April 2017
1 medium-sized fresh tart apple
3 T. fresh lemon juice, divided
1 small ripe avocado
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups sliced red onion (¼-inch slices)
½ t. whole cumin seeds (or more, to taste)
1 cup lightly toasted California walnuts, coarsely chopped
10 oz. fresh baby spinach leaves, dried
¼ t. kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Lemon wedges, for garnish
1. Cut apple in thin slices onto plate; drizzle with 2 t. lemon juice. Cover plate tightly; refrigerate.
2. Pour remaining lemon juice onto second plate. Peel and slice avocado. Place slices in lemon juice; turn over until well-coated. Set aside.
3. Heat olive oil in medium-sized skillet or ridged grill pan. Add onion; cook over high heat for 5 minutes. Sprinkle in cumin seeds and walnuts. Turn heat down to medium; cook with minimal stirring for 2-3 minutes, or until seeds and nuts give off toasty aroma.
4. Add onion mixture to spinach; sprinkle in salt as toss to thoroughly mix. (Spinach will wilt on contact with hot oil and onion.)
5. Gently mix in avocado, including all lemon juice, and apple. Grind in generous amount of black pepper. Serve immediately, garnished with lemon wedges to squeeze on top, if desired.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.