Blanquette de Veau
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Joseph Leonardi, CMC, Director of Culinary Operations, The Country Club, Chestnut Hill
Sizzle, Spring 2018
20 pearl onions
4 1/2 pounds veal shoulder, diced into 1-inch pieces
9 cups chicken stock
3 sprigs thyme
2 bay leaves
5 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 pounds celery root, diced
20 button mushrooms, cleaned
6 ounces haricot verts
3 teaspoons AP flour
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
1/2 bunch chives, thinly sliced
1. Blanch pearl onions in salted water, snip ends and peel. Blanch veal in salted water, rinse.
2. Add 8 cups of the stock to a large saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat; add veal, thyme and bay leaves. Simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, celery, carrots, turnips, mushrooms and remaining stock. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender. Add the haricot verts during the last 3-5 minutes of cooking and cook until just tender. Set aside.
4. Strain veal, reserving the cooking liquid and set both aside. Add the remaining butter to the same saucepan and flour, whisking over medium-low heat to make a light roux. Whisk in 2 cups of the cooking liquid. Stir in heavy cream off heat. Season sauce with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
5. To serve, pour sauce over the veal and vegetables. Garnish with chives. Optional additional garnish: profiteroles filled with foie gras mousse, celery root chips and fresh chervil.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.